Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Blog post on the (A)D&D Adventure that MM Helped Write

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heresiologist
    Mothra Worshipper
    • Jan 2012

Blog post on the (A)D&D Adventure that MM Helped Write

...Imagine was TSR's official organ in the UK. Issue #22 was a Michael Moorcock Special Feature including: an interview with him, a short story by him (“1st UK magazine publication”), an AD&D adventure by him, and a three page publication history of the Eternal Champion by someone other than him...

Anyway, the eight page adventure is written by Michael Moorcock and Michael Brunton. So, it's a collaboration. How much did Moorcock contribute? In the interview, when Moorcock is asked if he will write for role-playing games, he replies, “I'll write the odd scenario, such as the outline I did for IMAGINE.” So, Moorcock's contribution was limited to an outline. The credits at the end of the adventure attribute “Inspiration” to Moorcock and “Perspiration” to Brunton.
    http://thoulsparadise.blogspot.com/2...-moorcock.html
  • Rafael
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • Oct 2021

"Imagine Magazine" used to be available in its entirety at "Abandonware" websites, and at the Internet Archive. Not posting any links here, as I am not entirely sure about the legality of these things - but the adventure should be out there, and readily available.

The problem isn't the adventure itself, it's the setting beyond it. Unless you're very, very acquainted with the World of Elric. For modern-day players, this needs an extremely careful introduction to work well, and to do that, a month's worth of writing work. Difficult, but not impossible. :)

Comment

• Heresiologist
      Mothra Worshipper
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
      "Imagine Magazine" used to be available in its entirety at "Abandonware" websites, and at the Internet Archive. Not posting any links here, as I am not entirely sure about the legality of these things - but the adventure should be out there, and readily available.

The problem isn't the adventure itself, it's the setting beyond it. Unless you're very, very acquainted with the World of Elric. For modern-day players, this needs an extremely careful introduction to work well, and to do that, a month's worth of writing work. Difficult, but not impossible. :)
      If Internet Archive has it, I'd expect it's legal.

As for the setting problem, there's plenty of help at site member marcus bone's Stormbringer RPG website.

Comment

• Rafael
        Moonbeam Traveller
        • Oct 2021

Bone has some extra info on the "Age of Aubec"?! - That would be amazing. Can you point me to the exact link?

(For reference/in case there's a misunderstanding: The Imagine Mag adventure is set in the time of Earl Aubec of Malador, NOT in the default Stormbringer/Elric era. The adventure is great if you decide to run it by the book, but if you think about tinkering with it, it's gonna be a lot of work.)

Comment

• Heresiologist
          Mothra Worshipper
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
          Bone has some extra info on the "Age of Aubec"?! - That would be amazing. Can you point me to the exact link?

(For reference/in case there's a misunderstanding: The Imagine Mag adventure is set in the time of Earl Aubec of Malador, NOT in the default Stormbringer/Elric era. The adventure is great if you decide to run it by the book, but if you think about tinkering with it, it's gonna be a lot of work.)
          Yeah, sorry, I don't know if there's any Age of Aubec material on that site.

At any rate, if I were to get my hands on a copy of that Imagine magazine and decide to run the adventure, I'd probably not be fussed with just making it "my own". Even to the point of declaring the existence of a parallel, or sub-, multiverse based on my interpretations of MM's works.

Comment

• Rafael
            Moonbeam Traveller
            • Oct 2021

- Yeah, it's really the only way, for a project of this kind. It's also not that it wouldn't be doable, it's that it takes an extremely long time to work on this, in comparison with some more accessible "McD&D" material. Like, even as a very, very dedicated and knowledgeable fan, this is a month's work we're talking about. Not many are going be willing to invest this, even with a project as interesting as this one. ...Now, honestly, a setting book for the "Age of Aubec", that would be a pretty amazing RPG project, some distant day. Maybe the guys that are doing Mournblade can be persuaded...? ;)

Comment

Working...
            X