Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Deities & Demigods (Elric part)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deities & Demigods (Elric part)

Hey it's free! Although i've never really liked the D&D rules.
    So Elric's alignment is "Chaotic Evil".. I thought more like maybe "Chaotic Neutral" would fit him..

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/doctorwhoeyespy/em.zip

I have always disliked the idea of alignments. I believe a player should have freewill and not be bound buy an alignment. Anyway, I do belive chaotic neutral fits Elric better than chaotic evil.

Comment

Elric was always too complex to be defined by an alignment system. That system is a nice prop when you're first getting used to roleplaying games but it becomes a stifling convention when one begins to get used to role-playing more subtle characters. The Pendragon game's traits and passions system for defining character was far more complex and true to life I believe and would be a great addition to any Elric game. Shame Chaosium sold the rights to Green Knight publishing, who, I think have gone bust.

But the Melnibonean Mythos from that Deities and Demigods book was one of the best in it in spite of it's flaws.

Comment

Although this could fit nicely into another thread, a better way, at least in my humble opinion, to play without an alignment is to use the botion in D20 Modern of Allegiance over Alignment. An Allegiance is a leaning, a predisposition, an alliance. This could be to a country, a belief, a god, etcetera, more than a set stream of rules of conduct, such as under the alignment system. With DnD 3.5 built to be compatible with D20 Modern, it is possible to port many rules back and forth. D20 Modern is probably an ideal ruleset for a Moorcockian campaign setting just because there are rules to cover different times, with a D20 Future supplement due out in August. There is a book called Urban Arcana that details magic and psionics for the D20 Modern rules and the Menace Manual, full of demons, monsters and organizations to throw at a group. The internet already has several fantasy styled advanced classes and occupations to assist in making D20 Modern into D20 Fantasy.

hellbender
        There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

--Aldous Huxley

Comment

One other comment on alignment is this: I would agree that Elric is Chaotic Neutral if he had to be classified, while he does what he needs to to survive and is aligned to Chaos, he does help others and shows a wider range of emotions than those of his country, whom I would hazard to almost consider neutral evil with their insidious ways, although they do worship a chaotic evil being.

The alignment system is very hard to nail down with works like this for obvious reasons, which was why I posted my feelings regarding the Allegiance system of d20 Modern. Sentient beings I feel are more inclined to ally themselves to ideals, stronger beings, nations and causes over falling into a general alignment. This can be overcome with changing the abilities and spells of Detect Good/Evil to Detect Intent.

hellbender
          There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

--Aldous Huxley

Comment

Chaosium also has an allegiance system for its Stormbringer/Elric! rpg.
            They also use it in their D20 Dragon Lords of Melnibone. If you play the D20 system and would like to play in an Elric setting this is the book for you to check out.

http://www.chaosium.com/catalog/prod...products_id=60

Comment

Thank you for the link. While I had seen the d20 version, all the reviews were quite dismal and put me off the supplement entirely. I have always struggled through either 1E ADnD, the Palladium Fantasy RPG or now with 3.0 and 3.5 of the new DnD amalgam.

hellbender

--Aldous Huxley

Comment

You may be able to find it on ebay for pretty cheap. I prefer the Chaosium Basic Role Playing system over D20 but Dragon Lords of Melnibone is pretty good. I have seen horrible reviews but I have also seen great reviews. I think it is worth a shot. It is a conversion of Stormbringer/Elric! rpg and it works pretty well.

If you play with friends that do not care what system they play I would suggest Stormbringer 5th Edition. The BRP system is great for the setting.

Comment

I do have a previous edition of Elric! (4th, right before Stormbringer) and I have played the RuneQuest game (3rd edition), however, I have never had much inkling to run the BRP system or to play in an entirely Elric/Eternal Champion/Moorcock multiverse. While I enjoy reading Moorcock's work, I personally find it a bit too lofty and restrictive for actual roleplaying. I know Moorcock has an aversion to Tolkien, I do not, and I mix elements of Tolkien, Moorcock, R.E. Howard, Leiber, Glen Cook and Lord Dunsany in my rpgs. The latest incarnation of DnD (3.5) works for me sofar, even with all its quirks.

hellbender

--Aldous Huxley

Comment

Re: Deities & Demigods (Elric part)

Originally posted by Theocrat
                    So Elric's alignment is "Chaotic Evil".. I thought more like maybe "Chaotic Neutral" would fit him..
                    I thought so, too... except that Elrik also shows strong tendencies toward "Chaotic Good". Which also might explain why Elrik never could find peace in Tanelorn, a strongly Neutral Good-alignmented haven.

Comment

The problem is that "chaotic" alignment has little to do with "allied with Chaos". One could argue, for example, that Arioch is actually Lawful Evil...he certainly seems to punish disobedience firmly enough.
                      Best/Mario

Comment

Elric's "alignment"

The Deities and Demigods supplement (and Gods, Demigods, and Heroes, which it replaced) correctly categorized Elric as chaotic evil. Elric describes himself as evil; we should believe him.

From The Weird of the White Wolf:

"'Peace,' Elric told her simply. Then he smiled ironically and said: 'I am an evil man, lady, and my destiny is hell-doomed, but I am not unwise, nor un-
                        fair."

----------
                        From The Bane of the Black Sword:

"I have brought evil to many places," [Elric] said, "but usually there has already been evil to match mine. I seek no excuses, for I know what I am and I know what I have done."

Comment

Elric may regard himself as evil, but how many instances of outright evil behaviour can we cite as evidence of this claim? Note, 'evil acts' committed by Stormbringer against Elric's wishes - i.e. the slaying of Cymoril - don't count imho.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

How about: Knowingly using an 'evil item' is itself an act of evil. ?
                            Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Interesting premise. On the one hand, there's the whole 'doing evil to do good' argument to consider (cf. the sack of the Dreaming City); on the other, Stormbringer's 'evilness' is perhaps in the way it consumes souls to 'service' its master?

Then again, Elric tries to give up Stormbringer on a number of occasions but fails, so does his weakness mitigate against his reliance on the runesword? (I'm thinking of Peter Lorre's child murderer in Fritz Lang's M, who argues before the criminal underworld of Berlin that they have chosen to do evil but he is compelled by his 'insanity' to commit evil?) Interesting philosophical point perhaps?
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                              X