Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Boardgame - Avalon Hill: Anyone playing it still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric Boardgame - Avalon Hill: Anyone playing it still?

Hi,

I'm the proud winner of an unpunched copy of the 1981 Avalon Hill Elric game.

Although I hate to punch it, I definitely purchased it for gaming rather than collecting purposes. Does anyone else here an an interest in the game (PBEM) or FTF in San Antonio?

I've looked but haven't spotted any discussion on the game here. From what I can tell, it looks to have captured a fair amount of the Elric flavor.

Cheers,

Ben

I've never even heard of the game you are referring to. Can you take photographs, digital or otherwise, for the website? I would post those as soon as I got them. I bet there would be a great deal of interest in them. Wow, more material lurking around out there.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I forgot about Google. This will have to do for now.

http://www.princetongames.org/boardg...hp3?game=Elric

Here is some clutch information. House rules! rah!

http://grognard.com/titlee.html#e33

Some more board game mayhem!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1628

EVEN MORE
      http://spotlightongames.com/military...s/e.html#elric
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Unrellated RPG fun!

http://www.waynesbooks.com/Elric.html

Comment

There are two pictures of the game that I won on E-bay, item number 31773756.

The links above, particularly Boardgame Geek, are the best references I've found.[/img]

Comment

It's already gone. Would you mind checking your Internet Explorer's cache for the images?

Comment

I have the images, and I hopefully will have the game in about a week. I'm not sure how to post images here, but I'd be happy to e-mail them to anyone that wants them (or knows how to do the posting).

Ben

Comment

[email protected]

Comment

Interesting to see the Elric game surface on MWM. I'm a long-time Moorcock fan and game collector and as far as I know this is the only boardgame published about one of Moorcock's characters. The original was put out by the Chaosium back in 1977. Same game, but paper map; hard to find that version. The later Avalon Hill version has the mounted mapboard and more robust components.

The game plays pretty well, and really captures the flavour and character of the books, although it's long and you spend a lot of time wandering round the Young Kingdoms picking up allies. Nice Cosmic Balance game mechanic though - if I recall correctly (been a good while since I played) the balance moves a number of points toward Chaos or Law when special pieces are played, depending on their orientation. For example, using the Army Eater or Arioch in a battle moves the balance a number of points towards Chaos. If the balance tips too far toward either alignment, it's the End of the World and no-one wins unless they have Stormbringer or Mournblade (Chaos alignment) or the Runestaff (Law alignment). It tends to lean towards Chaos more often than not as a lot more chaotic stuff happens in the Elric stories and there are more Chaos counters in the game.

Lots of colour from the books, and the illustrations on the counters are nice. As I recall, one of the things that make the game time consuming is that all the pieces have different powers which you have to keep referring back to the rulebook for. You'll want to play it with some dedicated Elric fans as it takes a bit of work.

You win by having the right artefact at the End of the World, or by capturing Imrryr, for which of course you need Elric. The game usually ends with large stacks of powerful counters sitting around Imrryr waiting for someone to show up with Elric and then try to take him away from them. Not a bad effort as a game - the Chaosium did some good work on fantasy themed games, including their own original creations in the world of Glorantha, White Bear Red Moon being the best example.

Elric pops up fairly regularly on Ebay and you should be able to get a played copy for $10 to $20 (two up for bid as I write).
                  \"Such confidence, gentlemen, is warming to the heart\".

Comment

I saw this Elric boardgame being sold 2nd hand at a convention about 1/2 a year ago for آ£20. I would have probably bought it if I could have guaranteed all the components were present. When the Elric film comes out it might get re-issued in a new and colourful (and probably expensive) incarnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                      I saw this Elric boardgame being sold 2nd hand at a convention about 1/2 a year ago for آ£20. I would have probably bought it if I could have guaranteed all the components were present. When the Elric film comes out it might get re-issued in a new and colourful (and probably expensive) incarnation.
                      Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a clear counter manifest on any of the gaming sites but I think they're all accounted for, along with scans of the counters and the game map, on this site: http://jeuxstrategie.free.fr/Elric_complet.php. On the other hand, you're probably not going to want to sit down and count through all the counters at a convention... If you do buy a game and find you're short pieces, you can often find other gamers that have spares or will sell you another incomplete game at low $$ on the rec.games.board or rec.games.board.marketplace newsgroups.

Whether or not the game gets reissued is an interesting question. Obviously, Michael Moorcock holds the copyright. Avalon Hill was the last publisher, and when they went under Hasbro bought the rights to some of their games. The problem with a game like Elric is that it's complexity makes it unnattractive to the mass market and a poor proposition to the big games publishers. One scenario would be to do what they did with Avalon Hill's game 'Starship Troopers' (which was a wargame) when the movie came out and change the game considerably to make it simpler, add lots of chrome (nice bits and pieces), and repackage it.

The Elric boardgame is actually not a bad design and could be made more playable for the mass market with some modifications to the mechanics. The problem is that it would likely only appeal to the core fanbase and not the larger public (unless the movie really hits a chord and brings in a wider dedicated audience).

A more appealing scenario would be to publish a fan-oriented game with a low print run, either based on the existing game (for which copyright and republishing rights would have to be secured), or do something completely different. An example would be to use one of the big name game designers out of Europe such as Reiner Knizia (who did a number of Lord of the Rings boardgames in the wake of the films) to do a treatment based on the books. Reiner would likely do a nice game, but his games generally don't catch the atmosphere as thoroughly as the Elric boardgame does.

Moorcock's writings are so rich in character and situation that there's plenty of potential for some good games to come out of them.
                      \"Such confidence, gentlemen, is warming to the heart\".

Comment

Originally posted by marinagh
                        Moorcock's writings are so rich in character and situation that there's plenty of potential for some good games to come out of them.
                        Yes - like movies and computer games there's massively unexplored territory there for board games too. Earl Aubec has forged ahead into lands unknown and it's taking a long time for the rest of the world to catch up with him. Lets hope the Elric movie trilogy changes that.

Comment

I have the Elric game, and I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay. The game is opened but it was never actually played (could never find people to play it). If someone here is interested in it, please let me know.

I also have the John Carter board game that I'm looking to unload.

Comment

You might want to post a duplicate of this in the Moorock on eBay (2010) thread Patrick.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Just posted it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X