Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Savage Worlds Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Worlds Elric

I just bought Savage Worlds from Pinnacle/Great White Games, and the more I read it, the more I realize it would be absolutely perfect for Elric.

It handles large skirmishes as well as roleplaying, it scales well.

Some people on the Savage worlds boards are talking about hammering it together for personal use. Here's the link.

I think it would be great to see the entire Eternal Champion ethos done for Savage Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Random Goblin
      I think it would be great to see the entire Eternal Champion ethos done for Savage Worlds.
      I would have to disagree (although I do like the Savage Worlds system quite a bit). The existing Stormbringer/Elric! roleplaying is absolutely perfect for roleplaying in the Young Kingdoms.

Anderon

Comment

Link is dead.

I'm not a huge fan of Savage Worlds, but an Elric version would be worth a look....
        Marv (Finarvyn)
        Eternal Champion fan since the 1970's
        Discovered D&D in 1975

Comment

Another quick and violent death system, , hmmmm just like Elric.
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Bah humbug! Call that quick? You could die in Traveler before you finished rolling up a character!

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
              Bah humbug! Call that quick? You could die in Traveler before you finished rolling up a character!
              Traveller was great! Not only could you die during character creation, but if you lived your ultimate goal was to pay off a 30-year mortgage on the space ship you just bought! (The neat thing about RPGs is that they don't focus on the problems I have in the real world....)
              Marv (Finarvyn)
              Eternal Champion fan since the 1970's
              Discovered D&D in 1975

Comment

Savage Worlds Elric

Must confess I never saw the point/got the hang of Traveller.

But then I was used to playing [A]D&D, which was very much the PC to Traveller's Mac.
                Last edited by David Mosley; 06-17-2010, 03:40 AM.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Traveller character creation was intersesting. Not so good if your players have gambling addictions, as some of our players kept advancing their age to get more skills and losing so many attributes that when it was done, the characters were unplayable.

So we never got around to playing.

If you want a lethal system, check out L5R (Legend of the Five Rings). That is a lethal system.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I've possibly related elsewhere my one and only time playing MERP: I spent a lunchtime or three rolling up my character - a ranger possibly, I don't recall - who then had about 15 mins of actual game time before he took an orc arrow to the throat, whereupon the GM consulted damage tables, critical hit tables and super-dooper critical damage tables or some such and coolly announced that the character he and I had spent so much time creating had just died.

Needless to say I never went back to Middle-Earth.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                      Must confess I never saw the point/got the hang of Traveller.

But then I was used to playing [A]D&D, which was very much the PC to Traveller's Mac.
                      I quite agree, I love SF, but SF RPGs, especially Traveller, don't seem to do SF very well at all.
                      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                        I've possibly related elsewhere my one and only time playing MERP: I spent a lunchtime or three rolling up my character - a ranger possibly, I don't recall - who then had about 15 mins of actual game time before he took an orc arrow to the throat, whereupon the GM consulted damage tables, critical hit tables and super-dooper critical damage tables or some such and coolly announced that the character he and I had spent so much time creating had just died.

Needless to say I never went back to Middle-Earth.
                        I'm a huge MERP/RM guy. Kyrinn always gives me a hard time about that.

So a number of years ago our MERP group invited my neighbor Rob to join the game. As he made his character, the players all said "Y,know, Rob, in MERP, bleeding is a bitch. Combat is deadly, and make a character with enough medical skills to staunch bleeding."

So what does Rob do in his first combat? Damn little hobbit goes charging into combat like a stupid berzerker and gets hacked to pieces. After a single round the goof is bleeding 20 hits per round, and for the record most level 1 characters have about 40 hits before they fall unconscious. Pale-faced, he looked from me to the players and timorously said, "Wow. I thought you were exagerating."

It's why the skill Ambush is so amazing in that game as well.
                        Great game, but at character creation you MUST spend a background point or 3 on a magic item with a flowstop spell embedded in it or you are dead.
                        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I forgot about Traveller's dead in generation system.

Currently, playing Savage Worlds - Weird World War Two and it is a good little system, but we are too cautious as death is just a die roll away, but more so.

A 2.1 version of V & V is going to re-appear after a few decades - which was a masterly superhero RPG.
                          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Working...
                          X