Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer artwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormbringer artwork

Yikes!

Mr. Moorcock seems to be pretty unhappy with a lot of the artwork in Chaosium's Elric games.

My mom did some of that art. I know they weren't earth's best drawings or anything, but I always liked them (she did most of the interior art for the Young Kingdoms northern continent sourcebook).

Wow, you're mom does game art as well as your dad? That's really cool! I think Michael is more disgusted with Chaosism for not giving him a cent in years and claiming the exclusive rights to his creations in gaming, than with anything to do with the art in the game.
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Well, he's mentioned artwork specifically a couple of times. :(

Comment

That was part of the arrangement. Mike was supposed to have veto on the artwork.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Did you parents have any trouble dealing with Chaosium? It would be very interesting to hear from them on any of this. Any chance you could interview them and post that here?
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Re: Stormbringer artwork

Originally posted by Random Goblin
            Mr. Moorcock seems to be pretty unhappy with a lot of the artwork in Chaosium's Elric games.
            I will say - from the stand point of an (dis)interested bystander/consumer - that I felt a lot of the artwork in the Games Workshop edition of Stormbringer :

[broken link]

was pretty p*ss-poor. Pete Knifton's artwork was particularly diabolical in my opinion (not just in Stormbringer, btw, but most of the stuff he produced for GW).

Knifton wasn't the only offender among the artists who worked on that project, so I do honestly feel that GW's (then) usually pretty good Quality Controls (which featured in most of their own proprietary games) sadly fell widely short of the mark on that particular book. :(
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:41 AM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              Did you parents have any trouble dealing with Chaosium? It would be very interesting to hear from them on any of this. Any chance you could interview them and post that here?
              I don't remember. I'll ask.

Comment

Any chance that you could post some scans?

Comment

Nope; no scanner.

Comment

Scans; etc., et al

Hey Man

What do you want scanned? For real.

-Fireclown

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                    Any chance that you could post some scans?

Comment

Chaosium artwork

FYI to everyone, I'm Chris Appel, illustrator and FORMER cover artist for some of the Chaosium books. I posted some old art from the Chaosium days in the gallery (Berry Sizemore indicated it might get moved, so you may have to search a bit.) There are some concept sketches as well as alternate versions of two covers that I did. These have been on my site in the past, but I'm cutting back on the older pieces displayed there. This seems like a better place for them.

Comment

I liked the art inside the new Stormbringer game book.

I think it's terrible for Chaosium to not hand over the proper royalties or ask for approval from him though.

Comment

I regret Frank Brunner's first edition illustrations, there were the best ever made...

Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Chaosium have always had somewhat mediocre artwork. Its funny that the GW version is mentioned as having worse art, since, in the case of Runequest, the GW version was generally better :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mespheber
                              first edition illustrations, there were the best ever made...
                              No argument there, the first edition had some stunning artwork, the following editions suffered by way of contrast, and some things were just inaccurate. (The pic of Gaynor comes to mind... which is a guy with an open face helm and a normal, human looking face. Looks like they just grabbed a human warrior type at random for the pic.)

The old AD&D Deities and Demigods which included the Elric and Cthulu sections also had what I thought were some great renditions of the characters.

Sorry to hear that Chaosium is jerking Michael. Too bad... I like their materials. Clearly they have been having financial issues for awhile, though that's no justification.

Comment

Working...
                              X