Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer RPG opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble
    replied
    Agreed with the debate about paper vs. digital, still to be decided at the moment. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...04opchart.html

The point I was trying to make is that the paper people have an interest to keep growing paper and therefore plant more trees. Perhaps we should have more forests planted?

I think the problem has been the difficulty in getting hold of books, whereas now the internet means it is possible to get hold of most editions, without too much difficulty. I have changed my attitude to books, in as much it is like a theatre or film ticket that you go to see a performance.

Besides the Elric RPG, we nearly had a go with the Hawkmoon Chaosium version, but didn't get pass rolling up characters.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Most forests are well managed and books are bio-degradable.
    Perhaps, but what is the carbon footprint of a hundred books compared to 100 PDFs on one laptop? Or 500. Or 1000? I used to have hundreds of books taking up needless space, not to mention the health hazard of the dust they accumulate and the bacteria and other contagions that books (as fomites) may harbor. Though that wouldn't prevent me from keeping my autograhed copy of Mother London, the fact is we don't need to be wasting so much energy on vain keepsakes.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommando View Post
    Turns out I still have it, and even though its falling apart I haven't actually had to use duct tape. Amusingly, the softcover Dragon Lords of Melnibone has fared the best, with the Mongoose game cover warping on me.

These days, I think that unless its a collector's item, that fancy bound books are an unneccesary vanity. I have a HP Tablet PC, and most of my recent books are in PDF form. I prefer digital medium for the most part for books, music and movies. We don't need to be hacking down forests or creating tons of chemical waste simply for entertainment.
    Probably wrong grain direction on the cover. Most forests are well managed and books are bio-degradable. All that extract of ore and conversion plus the use of energy to power the digital medium. Problem is the reduction of quality to reduce costs to increase profits.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied

I did like Elric RPG, but it was a bit too brisk and you could not really roll up a strong character, just to survive. It also didn't help that the PCs had not read any Elric books , so they weren't that interested in adventuring in the Young kingdoms.
    Holy cow the mortality rate on that game was incredible. If you rolled for races, and one player rolled Melnibone and the other rolled Nadsokor, wow. What a difference.

That said, my beggar probably was the single most influential character on my gaming I have ever had. Got me to enjoying playing the underdogs, which I still love to play.

I did think that the later editions balanced all that stuff out so much better. I really dug the final edition of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    One of the reasons, you as a buyer should have a thread sewn binding. Admittedly, it raises the cost of the binding, but I don't think as much as you would think. There is meant to another method called purr binding as good as thread sewing. Not quite sure if it is. I would prefer to have the thread myself. It is unlikely to feature in both cased work these days as the publishers (or retailers) drive the costs down.

I did like Elric RPG, but it was a bit too brisk and you could not really roll up a strong character, just to survive. It also didn't help that the PCs had not read any Elric books , so they weren't that interested in adventuring in the Young kingdoms.

Turns out I still have it, and even though its falling apart I haven't actually had to use duct tape. Amusingly, the softcover Dragon Lords of Melnibone has fared the best, with the Mongoose game cover warping on me.

These days, I think that unless its a collector's item, that fancy bound books are an unneccesary vanity. I have a HP Tablet PC, and most of my recent books are in PDF form. I prefer digital medium for the most part for books, music and movies. We don't need to be hacking down forests or creating tons of chemical waste simply for entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• by_the_sword
    replied
    Thanks for the quotes David Mosley.

Those things that Michael Moorcock recommends doing, are what a GM should do.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by by_the_sword View Post
    There's no reason why he couldn't do his own version of a Young Kingdoms Gazetteer or other books that provide information on what the author actually had in mind when he created these imaginary places.
    Except...

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    You've come to the wrong bloke, pard. I don't do world building. I tell stories. The places exist because they serve the narrative. I don't sit about drawing maps and working out the GNP of Melnibone. Indeed, I'm rather inclined to consider that the death of imagination. I've no objection to others spending their time doing that, of course, and I understand its fascination, but maybe there's someone else here who can give you a more positive and helpful answer. :)
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    Well, I find world-building as such boring. I've created suburbs of London as well as whole worlds, but I find the creation of languages, religions and so on pretty boring -- a sort of crossword puzzle sort of activity. Now I know a lot of people get their relaxation from doing this, as well as reading Agatha Christie novels, and I have ways of getting my own relaxation which no doubt wouldn't appeal to them, so I'm not condemning it, just saying I don't have much interest in it myself.

I usually create enough of a world to form the background for a good story. For me story-telling is the main interest. I wish I could tell people what the GNP of Argimiliar is, but sadly I can't. I prefer the worlds I write about to have a bit more mystery to them, I suppose.

So my advice to anyone who doesn't want to get bogged down in the political history of Mumpoobumpoo, is just get on with telling the story. Make the places, like the weather, carry the story forward or reflect the characters' moods and ideas, but just keep telling the story. All that other stuff is what you do when you haven't got a story to tell!
    Neat idea otherwise.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• by_the_sword
    replied
    You know, Mr Moorcock could write his own game supplements sans rules. There's no reason why he couldn't do his own version of a Young Kingdoms Gazetteer or other books that provide information on what the author actually had in mind when he created these imaginary places. He could write all the "fluff" (for want of a better word) while the individual gamers added their own system to suit themselves. This way Michael Moorcock makes all the money on his own intellectual property and his fans get all the minutiae they need to have a great game. Everybody wins (except Chaosium).

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommando View Post
    Originally posted by Lawrence Whitaker View Post
    Maybe I can offer you some comfort.

It wasn't a first edition, if a hard cover. Stormbringer 1st Ed was a boxed set with a softcover rulebook.

The hard cover was produced by Games Workshop around 1987; it was okay, but not brilliant. It also had a habit of the binding crumbling and scattering the pages everywhere not that long after buying it, so, chances are, it would have died on you anyway...!
    Ah yes, the "Duct-tape" edition. I remember it well...
    One of the reasons, you as a buyer should have a thread sewn binding. Admittedly, it raises the cost of the binding, but I don't think as much as you would think. There is meant to another method called purr binding as good as thread sewing. Not quite sure if it is. I would prefer to have the thread myself. It is unlikely to feature in both cased work these days as the publishers (or retailers) drive the costs down.

Leave a comment:

• Bleddyn
    replied
    Dismayed

I have a very healthy respect for the property rights of MM. I still haven't fully grasped all that transpired. I will say this I have all five editions of Stormbringer and Elric! I am an avid fan .... at 39 I still hunt down bits and scraps of games floating out there in the internet.

I have so many questions I would like to put to the game designers. But, considering the situation described I am reluctant. I am taken by surprise about Chaosium's reputation.... and wondered why it was a company in decline. I guess you guys have shed some light on that.

Presently being retired I have the time now to entertain the Idea of drafting my own BRP based ruleset synthesizing the several makeovers and such. Sdaly it is a game setting that no one has seen fit to follow through with. I hope Mongoose does it justice.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    All my RPG`s tend to get well-loved, and thus rather dog-eared. Just picked up a copy of Geist: the Sin Eaters, and lamented to my friends that my copy had a scratch on it. They looked at me funny and then one said, `Do you have any ROG`s that aren`t worn out within a few weeks?` Good point. The scratch aint that big a deal. It`ll be far worse than that one day.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied

It wasn't a first edition, if a hard cover. Stormbringer 1st Ed was a boxed set with a softcover rulebook.

The hard cover was produced by Games Workshop around 1987; it was okay, but not brilliant. It also had a habit of the binding crumbling and scattering the pages everywhere not that long after buying it, so, chances are, it would have died on you anyway...!
    Ah yes, the "Duct-tape" edition. I remember it well...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by EVIL INC View Post
    Ahh, thats the one I had. Damn them for thier sucky bindings back in those days. It was the principle and irony of it that bothered me the most.
    All my GW hardbacks from the mid- to late-'80s are fine, I have to say.

Anyway, you can see the various different Stormbringer RPG editions (covers only) in the Image Hive.

Leave a comment:

• EVIL INC
    replied

Ahh, thats the one I had. Damn them for thier sucky bindings back in those days. It was the principle and irony of it that bothered me the most.

Leave a comment:

• Lawrence Whitaker
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X