Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer RPG opinions.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    One of the reasons, you as a buyer should have a thread sewn binding. Admittedly, it raises the cost of the binding, but I don't think as much as you would think. There is meant to another method called purr binding as good as thread sewing. Not quite sure if it is. I would prefer to have the thread myself. It is unlikely to feature in both cased work these days as the publishers (or retailers) drive the costs down.

    I did like Elric RPG, but it was a bit too brisk and you could not really roll up a strong character, just to survive. It also didn't help that the PCs had not read any Elric books , so they weren't that interested in adventuring in the Young kingdoms.


    Turns out I still have it, and even though its falling apart I haven't actually had to use duct tape. Amusingly, the softcover Dragon Lords of Melnibone has fared the best, with the Mongoose game cover warping on me.

    These days, I think that unless its a collector's item, that fancy bound books are an unneccesary vanity. I have a HP Tablet PC, and most of my recent books are in PDF form. I prefer digital medium for the most part for books, music and movies. We don't need to be hacking down forests or creating tons of chemical waste simply for entertainment.
    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Pebble View Post

      I did like Elric RPG, but it was a bit too brisk and you could not really roll up a strong character, just to survive. It also didn't help that the PCs had not read any Elric books , so they weren't that interested in adventuring in the Young kingdoms.
      Holy cow the mortality rate on that game was incredible. If you rolled for races, and one player rolled Melnibone and the other rolled Nadsokor, wow. What a difference.

      That said, my beggar probably was the single most influential character on my gaming I have ever had. Got me to enjoying playing the underdogs, which I still love to play.

      I did think that the later editions balanced all that stuff out so much better. I really dug the final edition of the game.
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Kommando View Post
        Turns out I still have it, and even though its falling apart I haven't actually had to use duct tape. Amusingly, the softcover Dragon Lords of Melnibone has fared the best, with the Mongoose game cover warping on me.

        These days, I think that unless its a collector's item, that fancy bound books are an unneccesary vanity. I have a HP Tablet PC, and most of my recent books are in PDF form. I prefer digital medium for the most part for books, music and movies. We don't need to be hacking down forests or creating tons of chemical waste simply for entertainment.
        Probably wrong grain direction on the cover. Most forests are well managed and books are bio-degradable. All that extract of ore and conversion plus the use of energy to power the digital medium. Problem is the reduction of quality to reduce costs to increase profits.
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Pebble View Post
          Most forests are well managed and books are bio-degradable.
          Perhaps, but what is the carbon footprint of a hundred books compared to 100 PDFs on one laptop? Or 500. Or 1000? I used to have hundreds of books taking up needless space, not to mention the health hazard of the dust they accumulate and the bacteria and other contagions that books (as fomites) may harbor. Though that wouldn't prevent me from keeping my autograhed copy of Mother London, the fact is we don't need to be wasting so much energy on vain keepsakes.
          Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

          Comment


          • #80
            Agreed with the debate about paper vs. digital, still to be decided at the moment. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...04opchart.html

            The point I was trying to make is that the paper people have an interest to keep growing paper and therefore plant more trees. Perhaps we should have more forests planted?

            I think the problem has been the difficulty in getting hold of books, whereas now the internet means it is possible to get hold of most editions, without too much difficulty. I have changed my attitude to books, in as much it is like a theatre or film ticket that you go to see a performance.

            Besides the Elric RPG, we nearly had a go with the Hawkmoon Chaosium version, but didn't get pass rolling up characters.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

            Comment

            Working...
            X