Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer RPG opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Please stop spreading false info about this David, I have corrected it here before.
    Hi Ian, sorry it is (was) not my intention to spread "false info" about anything, certainly not in a malicious manner. Someone posted that they thought Mike had supported Chaosium, a fact - as evidenced by Mike's posts - which is/was very far from the truth.

I accept your rebuke, but as I state in my 'rider' at the end, all I've done is look for posts by Mike containing the word "Chaosium" and summarised them. Anyone can do that with the current system and get the same results, and I gave the criteria which anyone, who wants to read Mike's full posts, can use to find them. I also mention that most of the posts are some years old now and things change, so might not reflect the current position. It just happens that Mike hasn't (afaik) posted much about his current relationship with Chaosium recently.

What I would ask, if you don't mind - and you may well say, 'why should I bother?' - is if you can identify the post(s) where Mike has his facts wrong about the Deities & Demigods dispute please report them (using the icon) and I will add your above text to them for future reference for other users.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

OK, cheers. No harm, no foul.

It is interesting to note that Mike's relationship with Chaosium was originally
      very warm, and he was happy with the way things were going. It wasn't until
      the relationship went south did Mike start to express his distaste with the
      products, and even then, it was mostly artwork and presentation rather than
      content. He and I talked about it once, long ago, and he acknowledged that
      the soured relationship may have tainted his views on the product.

I'll search out the Deities commentary, and flag it. This topic has appeared
      elsewhere numerous times, with the same misunderstandings about the
      scenario posited.

Here's some more info regarding the licensing of the mythos in the book,
      writeen by Aardy DeVarque, a kind of D&D historian:

http://users.rcn.com/aardy/faq/rgfdfaq4.html#E8

Ian
      Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
      go to hell so that they will look forward to
      making the trip.

Comment

the two versions may not be contradictory.

From a legal point of view, to thank Chaosium for allowing the use of the material could have been looked as an admission of ownership by the other company.

From this point of view, to remove the mythos is to escape the dilemna, thanks or court .....

Comment

Ian & Co.,

David and spoke about the "above text to them for future reference for other users" portion, and I have asked him not to do that. That thread is valuable to our site and should not be changed. It's important for the future that the context is not damaged.

Mike's most recent posts will always speak for themselves. If you or any researcher feels a new comment by Michael would be useful, then asking for a status update or some sort of question that gets him talking about it is the best method.

Also, I feel the " Please stop spreading false info about this David, I have corrected it here before." remark was a little surly. Thanks for apologizing. I, of course, am an expert at recognizing and practicing surliness.
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
            Ian & Co.,

David and spoke about the "above text to them for future reference for other users" portion, and I have asked him not to do that. That thread is valuable to our site and should not be changed. It's important for the future that the context is not damaged.

Mike's most recent posts will always speak for themselves. If you or any researcher feels a new comment by Michael would be useful, then asking for a status update or some sort of question that gets him talking about it is the best method.

Also, I feel the " Please stop spreading false info about this David, I have corrected it here before." remark was a little surly. Thanks for apologizing. I, of course, am an expert at recognizing and practicing surliness.
            As the Apple ad says - "Touche" :)

I didn't really apologize formally, so -

Sorry about the bitterness in the post David, it was unwarranted.

Seems I get a little riled up since it seems like I am the lone eagle here
            when it comes to defending the Stormbringer game (not Chaosium mind
            you, just the game itself). Floating ideas to the author that is currently
            working on the Mongoose product is part of my way of trying to fix what I
            perceive as broken in the game, but still retain what I feel is well done.

I may follow it up with a document with BRP rules plus my own mods.

But that is another project a long way off ...

Ian
            making the trip.

Comment

That's big of you Ian. Your contribution has always been appreciated.

Comment

I just heard that Chaosium have reliniquished all of their right to the Stormbringer game, leaving Mongoose as the sole license holder. My contact tells me that part of the reason was due to them being fed up with "constant badgering" from Mike rather than any financial considerations (not my words, I hasten to add!). A tacit admission that they haven't been holding up their end of the bargain, perhaps? Who knows. Either way, so long as Mongoose have a legit deal and don't arse things up, it could bode well for EC roleplaying...
                The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion View Post
                  I just heard that Chaosium have reliniquished all of their right to the Stormbringer game, leaving Mongoose as the sole license holder. My contact tells me that part of the reason was due to them being fed up with "constant badgering" from Mike rather than any financial considerations (not my words, I hasten to add!). A tacit admission that they haven't been holding up their end of the bargain, perhaps? Who knows. Either way, so long as Mongoose have a legit deal and don't arse things up, it could bode well for EC roleplaying...
                  It should be a decent book. It was started by a gent named Aaron
                  Dembski-Bowden, who did the Lankhmar Mongoose book. However, he
                  has given it up to go work on Computer RPGs (a new Conan game).
                  The book has been taken over by Lawrence Whitaker, who has written
                  for Elric!/Stormbringer previously. Since Lawrence has been stiffed by
                  Chaosium himself, and has extensive knowledge of Mike's material as well
                  as previous iterations of the game (and knowing that Mongoose's RuneQuest
                  is derived from the same system as Chaosium's previous releases), I expect
                  a solid offering.

Ian
                  making the trip.

Comment

All will be a matter of price... I checked Mongoose's Lankhmar and I found it a bit lite compared to its price ($35) and previous publications by TSR. Also, I admit I lately read Stealer of Souls and Atlas of the Young Kingdoms, volume 1, on the way to use both in my next campaign, and I was shoked that they didn't use previous and excellent material for the second: a lot of incoherences (on the other side it's up to each GM to make its own choices).

Also, it is to admit that graphics suck sometimes... Those who bought Lone Wolf RPG know what I mean and I can't wait for french edition illustrated by Gary Chalk...
                    Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      The book has been taken over by Lawrence Whitaker, who has written
                      for Elric!/Stormbringer previously. Since Lawrence has been stiffed by
                      Chaosium himself, and has extensive knowledge of Mike's material as well
                      as previous iterations of the game (and knowing that Mongoose's RuneQuest
                      is derived from the same system as Chaosium's previous releases), I expect
                      a solid offering.

Ian
                      Lets not forget that Loz Whitaker was the author of some unkind words about Mike on another site. I hope that he has retracted those words and now shows Mr M some respect.

Comment

Lets not forget that Loz Whitaker was the author of some unkind words about Mike on another site. I hope that he has retracted those words and now shows Mr M some respect.
                        Mike and I have exchanged a few emails just recently, and all is absolutely fine between us. Same with Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Whitaker View Post
                          all is absolutely fine between us. Same with Berry.
                          This is true.

Thanks,
                          Berry

Comment

YEEEEHAAAA! BACK TO ROLEPLAYING IN THE YK!

Originally posted by Lawrence Whitaker View Post
                            Mike and I have exchanged a few emails just recently, and all is absolutely fine between us. Same with Berry.
                            Excellent news!
                            I hope that your mongoose runequest Elric book goes from strength to strength. I intend to buy a copy of it and start a game. A pity that you didn't write the Hawkmoon runequest game as well. I'm glad it all got sorted out between you, Berry and uncle Mike!
                            Skafloc

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                              The BRP system, although highly playable, was, in fairness, showing its age back in the late 80s. While I haven't seen an edition of Stormbringer for years, I doubt it has changed that much, as Chaosium are hardly known for their complete overhalls of their gaming systems. I think they are just lazy.

Like you say you "haven't seen an edition of Stormbringer for years" and consequently your opinion shows its age. Elric! rpg and Stormbringer fifth edition are much much better systems than the previous Stormbringer games. The newer systems are much easier to handle and are efficient and easy to learn.
                              My only gripe is that chaosium were apparently ripping off Mike Moorcock.Chaosium are renowned for pissing off certain writers with their lack of regard. I hope that the situation has been resolved and Mongoose turn out to be better at writer relations.
                              Last edited by RPG Punnet; 09-07-2007, 04:45 AM.

Comment

The whole situation with Chaosium is such a shame in the end. I read Elric longe before I found the game (and maybe even before the game came out). When I finally got a copy of Stormbringer, I loved taht it was the world of Elric, but thought the system was kind of lousy. And it didn't feel terribly true to the game.

Very recently (and not knowing Mike's problems with Chaosium) I bought Corum and the latest edition of Stormbringer, and was really impressed with how much they had cleaned up the system. It felt far more faithful to the books. A lot more faithful.

The game is good. The company... eh. I can't comment, for I've only read the comments here, and it's not like I can argue with what Mike has said. But it is nice to hear that Mongoose (which is a good company) and Mike are getting along these days. I like Mongoose. Still not sure I'm gonna buy the new game when I just bought the last edition of Stormbringer, but one of these days I'm sure I'll get it.
                                "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                                --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Working...
                                X