Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A computer game at the End of Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A computer game at the End of Time?

Hi Mike,

I was wondering how you would feel about me (and hopefully a few other enthusiasts) making a game based on the End of Time stories? I've recently finished another time-consuming project, and on top of that had the good fortune to become unemployed, so I now seem to have lots of time to put into such a project in the forseeable future.

What I have in mind right now is mostly in line with the old adventure games of Sierra and LucasArts. That whole genre is largely considered dead in the gaming industry, but what the heck, you don't make anything worthwhile if you just go for the prototype that the professionals want all their games to look like. I want to largely, or completely drop, some of the core aspects of the 1990'es adventure games, particularly the aspect of always having to find random objects in random places to get on with the story (a frustrating aspect of the games to me and many others, and one which always made me think of the old Monty Python skit about The Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things). I don't want to replace them with logical mini-games of the Myst type, either. What I have in mind is actually much more like a real "interactive movie", where the choices you have to take have more direct impact of a story-line, and you're not constantly held up by irrelevant and "nerdy" elements in the story. ...Whew, that explanation grew lengthy, and if this idea comes to anything, we might even think of completely different directions in which to take the thing.

Anyway, if we can talk about this, just let me know here or in private mail, whichever you prefer. All best and like that as usual.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

It is a wonderful idea. I only fear that those who aren't familliar with the books would have a hard time grasping the concepts of the world at the End of Time.

Comment

Originally posted by Medard
      I only fear that those who aren't familliar with the books would have a hard time grasping the concepts of the world at the End of Time.
      Quite! But I don't have any ambitions of making this a huge mass-market success of Sims or Quake proportions. I want to make it fun for those who can take an interest in the world and ideas passed along in the books, and at least for the moment don't even have ambitions of making it a commercial game. In the case we end up with something with marketing potential, I won't resist the temptation of getting some money for Mike and the people putting their ideas and time into it. But the priority is making something right, not something profitable.

[EDIT: Thinking of it, this came through as if I want to make a game that's only playable by people familiar with the books, which isn't the idea. I mean to include all the exposition needed for the uninitiated. What I mean is that the priority isn't appealing to people who find far-future fiction silly and useless to begin with.]
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Working...
      X