Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Failed Elric Video Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Elric Video Game?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the alleged Elric video game? I heard it was released for Playstation back in the 90's. Not interested in acquiring it - just kinda curious to see some screenshots and a bit of info about it.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

A quick Google on the key words brought up the fact that there was supposed to be a game, perhaps called Elric The Necromancer for the Playstation, to be brought out by Psygnosis in 1997/ 1998, but the game got cancelled. According to Mr M., they couldn't find a sophisticated enough engine to make it work properly.

http://mapage.noos.fr/moonchild/CIVI.htm
    [broken link]

In German, Here:
    http://www.games-guide.de/pcgames/adventure/e/elric.htm

And This:
    ( http://cordoleani.computers-guys.com..._news/news.htm )
    And scroll down the page to the Elric section and click on the image links at:
    ( http://cordoleani.computers-guys.com..._jeux/jeux.htm )
    With artwork from an outfit called Haiku Studios Direction Artistique : Olivier Cordoleani, Design Graphique : Thierry Sapyn. There's even a PDF document detailing the background, conception and design.

Click on reduced image:

Looks rather good. If there was a version for the PC, with graphics like that, I'd be tempted to buy it. I know Psygnosis also did the Discworld games and unfortunately went belly up, a year, or two ago.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Surprising they were never able to get a workable engine together - shame Black Isle didn't get a licence to produce something. Fallout, Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment were some of the best RPGs ever made.

Bioware is still around - they might do a fairly good job, as would Bethesda. Hope Universal don't farm the game licence out to EA - like New Line did with LOTR.

We'll wait and see I guess.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
        Surprising they were never able to get a workable engine together - shame Black Isle didn't get a licence to produce something. Fallout, Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment were some of the best RPGs ever made.

Bioware is still around - they might do a fairly good job, as would Bethesda. Hope Universal don't farm the game licence out to EA - like New Line did with LOTR.

We'll wait and see I guess.
        Planescape Torment was one that sprung to mind, with me today, as well.

Comment

Thanks for the links Androman. There was also an isometric version of Elric which was due to be developed by a Russian company called Snowball Interactive for the PC which once again never got to see the light of day:

http://www.snowball.ru/stormbringer/

Shame as it had great potential.

Surreal might also have a good chance of developing a game engine for an Elric game, so long as they still have people in the team with experience from the development of their Drakan game for PS2.

Comment

Actually that Snowball interactive effort is the one I remember being touted in games magazines a few years ago. From the look of those screenshots it could have been pretty good.

From what the developers said it seems that they had distribution troubles - and as a result the project got canned. Unlikely that it will be picked up again - seeing how graphics technology has moved on in the years since.

Its as frustrating as seeing the screenshots for the original Fallout 3 that Black Isle started to make before interplay canned them (and then went under themselves)

Comment

Utilize your Ignore Function now...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the picture above makes Elric look as if he has breasts?

No? Just me then. :oops:
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Lol I noticed that - I was also wondering why Elric was thrusting his hips forward too. Methinks he's been at the yellow wine a little overmuch?

Comment

He's just pleased to see us...
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

looks a bit like a neverland pirate in a west-side-story-like bad boy pose. And Stormbringer is made of aluminium or something????

Comment

Well, I quite liked the angular face and the tall, lean and lanky look. But, the sword's just not trying hard enough.

Comment

oh, the character and the games screenshots do look awesome. Just the style of it all may not be very appropriate for a representation of Elric.

Comment

hi

hello im moonchild,someone contacted me reply to that thread
                          im a graphic artist that worked on the elric game for psygnosis
                          feel free to ask me any questions about it.

anyway theres a link with concepts and screenshots there:
                          http://cordoleani.computers-guys.com...lric/index.htm

and you can see the game in that video as well:
                          http://cordoleani.computers-guys.com...doleani_jv.zip

Comment

Hi.Ive been looking some Moorcock works adapted on pc also,but sometimes it is hard to make proper adaptations on any media on a sufficient level..But i think it is time to make one good really..

Comment

Working...
                            X