Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A new Elric game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Elric game

I'm of the mind that some game company should get in on the act and try to create a new Elric game. I think a Diablo/Baldur's gate dark alliance type game would be the best bet, in other words, an isometric 3d perspective, with upgradeable skills. Obviously in the books, Elric gets the most powerful weapon early in the story, but maybe in the game, Stormbringer could be upgraded with new runes or something as you progress. The story could be split into chapters, with boss battles. I for one would love to take on Agak and Gagak. maybe the game could be multi-player, with Corum, Erekose, Moonglum, Rackhir or some other characters available! Sounds like a perfect game for Snowblind or Black Isle studios to create.

Yhe technology is out there to make a fantastic Elric game (or Hawkmoon, Corum etc) If you've any experience of the PS2 game Drakan The Ancients Gates you'll also see that fantastic 3d environments with Elric riding Flamefang over the landscape and air to air dragon fights are also acheivable. Try a net search and you'll see what I mean. I think once the Elric movie goes into production then interest in a game spin-off will increase dramatically. My hope is that a company like Squaresoft get the license as the Japanese are some of the greatest talents out there. But Bioware and Sierra are also (among others) technially up to the job. Hopefully with the Elric material to work from it will raise the bar for PC games from the perspective of psychology, characterisation and philosophy. I'm hoping the movie will give Mike a higher profile and more negotiating power in the game arena.

I think your idea of Elric 'unlocking' Stormbringer's powers as the game progresses could work well. I fancy taking out Pyaray with a sharp riposte from the deck of a flaming Chaos ship myself Or flying with Flamefang across a boiling sea of Chaos :)

Comment

Drahken was a cool game! I agree, Square could do a cool Elric game, but I find their RPGs to be a bit too linear and focused on the cinemas. I enjoyed FFX for example, but found KOTOR to be a far superior experience. I think for an Elric game, I would prefer an action RPG like a Diablo or Drahken type game, but admittedly, with Square production values, I'm sure they would make a fantastic game.

Comment

Yeah I kinda got hooked on Draken. Change Ryn for Elric, Arock for Flamefang, introduce a deeper more psychologically driven plot and more rounded characters and you'd have the basis for an awesome Elric game.
        The game engines and creative talent is all out there. FFX I got hooked on too. I think you're right about the linear gameplay. Where Square games shine I think is in the technical and artistic expertise of their character animators and texture artists, also characterisation is more emotive in their games. I have KotOR but am having graphical problems running it on my PC so haven't tried it yet. Your taste in games seems very similar to mine so if you like KotOR I have a feeling I'm going to like that game too.

Comment

There are a ton of good game engines up to the task of creating a game based on the Elric saga. The flavor of the month is to create total conversion mods based on modular engines. The UT2k3 engine seems to be the favorite right at the moment, but come 2nd quarter 2004, Valve will be releasing Half-Life 2. I have a feeling HL2 will stomp on the competition and become the game engine of choice for the next year and a half. Valve has always made their game engines easily modifiable. The only problems I foresee in making a total conversion mod is time. By the time someone got the people together and created the game modules and artwork the next greatest game engine is released. I would like to see the game in first and third person much like Morrowind; it would have greater immersion that way.

Comment

My ultimate idea for an Eternal Champion game is kind of similar to something like Enclave (only it doesn't suck in my idea) crossed with Eternal Darkness, in other words, its a level based 3rd person action game where you control different characters in different chapters. The idea is this:

You start off as you, dreaming. You are being called in your sleep by some race of people that has need of your aid. This all takes place in a cutscene. Eventually, you let them draw you. You find yourself in a strange city where the native people are living in terror of an alien race of gods. Now you assume the role of their hero of legend, xxxxxx (whatever).

This is when the gameplay kicks in. You are a in the city, you can go around and talk to various people, find out what your mission is, then you head out into the countryside to vanquish your foes. now, depending on how you play the mission, you will end up as a different aspect of the Eternal Champion after it ends. Maybe the black ship picks you up, maybe you dream yourself into another existance, maybe there is a door that opens. Kind of a non-linear type thing. Sometimes you even hook up other aspects of the EC for massive boss battles. Levels can be replayed over and over achieve different paths through the game and open hidden missions. Ultimately there would need to be around 25-30 levels and at least 3 different endings.

So that is my idea, to bad I don't know how to program.

Comment

I'd like to see a Morrowind type of game for Elric. Travel the lands of the Young Kingdoms, go through various "Gates" to new worlds (room for add-ons), I think it would be good.

Or it could be a BF1942 type (there are so many mods for this game). Flying on dragons, attacking cities, sailing in ships.

Or there is the engine for Knights of the Old Republic. I'd like to see it kind of open ended though. I wouldn't want it to end.
              When they had advanced together to meet on common
              ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
              and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
              each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
              mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
              killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Morrowind style Elric game?

Inspired by Von's suggestion of Morrowind I thought I'd post some images from that game. Some of the landscapes in here are reminiscent of Rodney Mathews organic style. If anyone had the time they could probably patch together a fair Elric game modification using the exixting toolset that ships with Morrowind. The sword in a couple of the pictures here resembes Raven armouries version of Stormbringer. Could have a fair crack at a Corum mod too. :)

Comment

Yeah, there is a group of "modders" that are creating a mod for Elric in Morrowind. Here's the site:

http://www.elricm.com/

Here's a few screenshots of the mod. They have done a lot more with it. These are just regular people using the Morrowind Editor to build this for their own fun. If you had Bethesda do it it could be spectacular. As you can see from Mouser's screenshots, the world of Morrowind is beautiful.

Here's some pics of Elric and Cymoril

When they had advanced together to meet on common
                  ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                  and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                  each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                  mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                  killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Thanks for the link Von. It's a nice little website they have over there. They are modders of some skill and I'm impressed by their efforts. I've hot linked it for future reference. Can see myself trying out some of those mods.

That Daedra greatsword is almost a dead ringer for Stormbringer, if the blade were only wider at the hilt. :)

What would it take I wonder to get Bethesda Softworks to put in an offer to Mike and Universal to develop an Elric game using the Morrowind engine?

Comment

Contact Howard Morhaim.

http://www.multiverse.org/?q=contact-policy
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM.
                      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Berry, I'm going to sign up at the official Morrowind forum, probably this weekend, and see if I can drum up some interest in an Elric game based fully in the Young Kingdoms using the Morrowind engine. The guy who maintains the Elric mod site mentioned by Von is a member there. I'm hoping if things go far enough with the right people we can get Howard involved. If there is, say two years 'till the Elric film comes out it will give whoever is developing a potential game a good head start if they begin soon.

Bethsoft have also part developed a game based on the film Pirates of the Caribean which has a graphiclly superb sailing/trading/naval warfare game engine. The gameplay was a little shallow but the visuals are superb. Here's a preview:

Now if those ships were replaced with their Young Kingdom equivalents you'd have a whole naval element that could be added to the game.

And just to round out the adventures on land and sea with the aerial element, how about factoring into the design a dragon riding aspect like the Drakan game:

I guess my dream is to find an all singing all dancing version of the game - walk, run, sail, fly anywhere. Flying on dragon back over a fleet of Pan Tangian pirate galleons during a storm and strafing them with dragon fire as they try to plunder a small fleet of Filkharian trading vessels. I don't want much :lol:

Comment

If the first movie's a hit, you can count on a video game coming out. I hope there'll be a Windows version or maybe PS2. I'd like a game kinda like Unreal Tournament, only you use swords instead of guns.

Comment

One russian company tried to make Elric RPG game called "Stormbringer" at 2001-2002. Project was started, but not finished because of financial problems.
                            I am even glad, that the project has not come to the end. Game would turn out such sux :twisted: .

Here is some info and screenshots on english:

http://www.snowball.ru/stormbringer

Comment

Thanks for the link wizard. I checked out this game a couple of years ago and it's a shame nothing came of their plans while this isometric form of gaming was at it's peak. Snowball interactive went on to become developers of Baldur's Gate Dark Aliance and the soon to be released in the UK Champions of Norrath, two very well recieved and reviewed games for the PS2.

Comment

Working...
                              X