Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormbringer RPG

In light of the controversy over in the Q&A section I have to ask....why has the situation with Chaosium been allowed to go unresolved for so long?

I love the books and I get a lot of fun out of the RPG but I wouldn't necessarily have invested money in the game and the sourcebooks etc if I had known there was a contract dispute going on with the author of the setting. When you buy a product that has an iconic fantasy character as its inspiration you kind of expect that everything is above board. Otherwise it would have been called Alric or Sturmbringer or something.

Mike has tried to deal with Chaosium about this many times but they have been evasive, to say the least.

You're right of course about the second bit. I've got two hundred quids worth of Stormbringer/Elric! rulebooks and supplements sitting on my desk. I think it's time for me to post them back to Chaosium or give them to charity. Otherwise, as things stand, I would feel like I was sitting on the veranda watching Mike's TV along with the guy who nicked it.

Comment

Posting 'em back.

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
      Mike has tried to deal with Chaosium about this many times but they have been evasive, to say the least.

You're right of course about the second bit. I've got two hundred quids worth of Stormbringer/Elric! rulebooks and supplements sitting on my desk.

I think it's time for me to post them back to Chaosium or give them to charity.

If you posted 'em back to Chaosium they'd most likely resell them again and would get some filthy lucre for your supplements/rules.Charity seems the best option.It hopefully directs any money earned on your supplements/rulesbooks to a worthy cause and makes the world a slightly better place.

Otherwise, as things stand, I would feel like I was sitting on the veranda watching Mike's TV along with the guy who nicked it.
      To go with this analogy don't you find that some of the programs are a bit naff/tacky/badly presented.As an RPGer myself and a Moorcock fan I was very disappointed by some of their supplements.The art in some ranges from adequate to childlike, likewise the writing of scenarios.Quality control is a concept Chaosium seem not to be aware of.

Darklord.

Comment

I don't have a problem with the quality of the scenarios. I fact I have found them to be pretty good. The artwork could be improved but to me that is less important than the system and the scenarios.

As far as burning the rulebooks in protest goes (or giving them away or whatever) that will not help achieve any kind of resolution. Only Mr Moorcock and Chaosium can do that.

Comment

My impulse to renounce the stuff is perhaps an immature reaction springing from my own sense of guilt. There are better options.

I don't want to give the wrong impression. Chaosium have made some of the best games out there. Runequest, Pendragon, Cthulu and Stormbringer are some of the best RPG's ever made, classics. Pendragon and Stormbringer, in their first incarnations as boxed sets, were beautifully illustrated works of art, as well as being great game systems. Check out some of the beautiful illustrations for Pendragon by Lisa A Free, and likewise for Stormbringer by Frank Brunner - [broken link]. I think one of Mike's biggest concerns is that this level of illustration was not maintained for many of the subsequent Stormbringer products.
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I'd have to go along with that : ) I haven't had the chance to play Pendragon or Runequest (yet?) but I hear some good things. Especially about Pendragon. Sadly it seems pretty much dead now from what I hear. Didn't Chaosium sell it off to another company that went bust?

Comment

Pendragon was passed on to Green Knight publishing:

http://www.greenknight.com

Their website is still active although it hasn't been updated (according to the header page) for almost a year. They seem to distribute their products through Amazon. I once thought they had gone bust, but perhaps business is just quiet. Pendragon is one of the best games I've had the pleasure to play. The dynastic aspect of the game (you can play a noble family across almost 100 years of Arthurian history if the players have the patience) and the traits and passions system are inspired. I sometimes wonder if the traits and passions stuff woud be adaptable to the Stormbringer rules, as characters with great loves and hatreds, honour and dishonour, energy and apathy etc are all very much a part of Elric's world, and the way the traits are juxtaposed as opposites is in keeping with the Law/Chaos thing.

Comment

Just had a look at the site. Looks pretty good. Might have to see if I can find a copy locally.

Cheers.

Comment

Charlie Krank who now runs Chaosium sent a statement of account to Moorcock's agent some days past. The agent is on holiday at the moment.

When Decipher approached Mike to make an Elric CCG some time ago they paid him a big sum of money.

However the contract states that Chaosium have the rights to all paper based games. Therefore Mike couldn't make a deal with Decipher. He did not want to return the money. Therefore Chaosium paid the advance back to Decipher as an advance royalty payment to Mike.

Therefore Chaosium actually advanced Mike a large sum of cash, which isn't quite like stealing your TV is it?

Charlie is also quite happy to discuss with Mike a buyout from the contract and/or trying to resolve the concerns he has.

This is all from Charlie, as of Sunday, in person.

I forgot to ask the question about copies of books being sent to Moorcok's agent, sorry.

Comment

Therefore Chaosium actually advanced Mike a large sum of cash, which isn't quite like stealing your TV is it? :x

Why should we believe you or Chaosium?This all could be spin.

Charlie is also quite happy to discuss with Mike a buyout from the contract and/or trying to resolve the concerns he has.

That information is for Moorcock and his lawyer,so why tell us?

This is all from Charlie, as of Sunday, in person.

I hope that your tone isn't one of reverence for Charlie,he is only human, preacher of Nietzsche.

I forgot to ask the question about copies of books being sent to Moorcok's agent, sorry.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord
                      I give up. Yes I am Arioch and am evil.
                      Goodnight.

Comment

Originally posted by tzunder
                        Originally posted by Darklord
                        I give up. Yes I am Arioch and am evil.

Goodnight.

IT'S OFFICIAL WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! "Read all about it Tom Zunder admits baby eating pact with the Devil!".Why is it that when you or your mates quote someone it's quoting.But when anyone else who isn't your mate quotes someone it's misquoting?
                        "That makes me happy and neutral, so I'll just shut my Elric related website down and put some guff up displaying my imagined independence"
                        You display your pro--bias for your mates and your anti-bias for Moorcock fans who don't want him to be ripped off.

Darklord.

Comment

Re: Stormbringer RPG

Originally posted by 1ucien
                          ...it would have been called Alric or Sturmbringer or something.
                          Just wanted to voice my humour... a friend of mine made a fictional character based (extremely loosely) on Elric and named him Alric. Funny thing is... historically Alric is an actual Visigothic ruler. Elric = Emperor gone barbarian... Alric = Barbarian King. Wonder if Alric is an incarnation of Elric?

Thanos

Comment

I wouldn't rule it out : )

Wonder if he was kind of a pale guy with a large black sword?

Comment

Boneymaloney supplement

[quote="1ucien"]I don't have a problem with the quality of the scenarios. I fact I have found them to be pretty good.

You don't have the Melnibonean supplement then? Some of the scenarios ,but not the description of the Dragon Isle, are dafter than a drunken donkey! :lol:

The artwork could be improved but to me that is less important than the system and the scenarios.

The aforementioned Melnibone supplement has a map of Imrryr which has represntations of the towers of the city that look like huts for Smurfs...oh how I laughed! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only Elric could have had a flower eating demon pal called Noxdoxtor in the novels!

Comment

Working...
                              X