Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion (Games Workshop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion (Games Workshop)

I've uploaded scans of sundry material from Games Workshops' brief (legit) flirtation with Mike's Eternal Champion mythos to the Image Hive, mostly adverts, miniatures and stuff.

Tangentially related to all that though, the contents of this thread may also raise a wry smile on some readers' lips.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Love those minis.
    Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Man, I used to have those miniature figures!

Comment

Those are excellent miniatures Dave!
        Its not everyone who gets to line up with such luminaries for a good old Lasfight!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I have a some of them. I have several heroes, and half a dozen knights on Elvish Steeds. They are some of the best figures GW has ever made.

Comment

There were quite a few other models that never made the grade at the design stage but which were released in other non-MM ranges including a bulky but quite stonking Elric, and a dragon rider which was shunted off to become an Elven model.

Comment

A few months ago I was reading a copy of Imazine (can't remember which issue) the sadly defunct and genuinely amazing ezine by Paul Mason who once worked for GW and he mentioned working on part of a Jerry Cornelius RPG as part of a wider EC line of games that never happened in the 80s. One of the interesting game design elements that he said he was working on was an idea that the players could at times take control of the game, effectively editing the scenario mid-game to represent the cut-up style of the novels, which I think would have been interesting and conceptually would have been light years ahead of the rest of the pack at the time. Not sure how far GW's R&D went with this project or if they had even started negotiating with Mike about the rights, etc... but it never happened in this parallel.
              forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
              2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
              3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

They used a lot of big names to help make a name for themselves. They also did Dr. Who and Judge Dredd. Those other two were more recognizable to the masses then the Eternal Champion stuff. That is why they just transferred the Champion stuff into their main line. Far less fans to make a stink over it and they had far less work to do in creating their background.
                These threads have been out for years. Been a while since I saw one so figure was time for it to crop up again.

Comment

The EC range is amazingly sought after these days...

I wish I'd bought as many as I wanted.

Unfortunately when they went to plastic bases and blister packaging it was for me personally the same as Dylan plugging his guitar into an amp

Even after almost 25 years of this 'fashion' I still prefer the old metal based models.

That said I do have the Jerry Cornelius figure hidden in a unit of Menibonean archers

Comment

wow impressive, I must find these!!

Comment

Must be that time again. This topic comes up periodically. If you look at GW's minis after the Eternal Champion ones, you can easily see that they just incorperated the majority of them to be their main ones. Of course, if you look at their game background, you will see that they took more then just the minis. Good for us all methinks.

Comment

I am envious. I didn't "discover" Games Workshop until about 4-5 years ago when my son fell in love with Warhammer Fantasy and started painting their minis. The Elric line was totally "under my radar" and I sure wish I had bought some when they were out. (I keep trying to get my son to paint a new GW mini to look like Elric....)
                        Marv (Finarvyn)
                        Eternal Champion fan since the 1970's
                        Discovered D&D in 1975

Comment

The "image hive" of the 1st post doesn't work anymore.
                          but look at http://www.solegends.com/citboxes/bc...alchampion.htm
                          Citadel (the GW Miniatures part) actually produced a licensed box containing 2 versions of Elric + other incarnation of the Eternal Champion

High Elf Dragon Princes were supposed to be Melnibonean lord, dark elves basic troops.
                          Some ideas for Pan-Tang also guided the look of the Chaos Dwarves :)
                          Finally, they made their Warhammer own game/world.
                          Maybe to be license free or also to have more freedom for "classic races": goblin, orc, dwarf,... people could buy as D&D proxy and awful mix of culture
                          (from Renaissance Leo de Vinci like steam tank to arthurian knights and few Cosak riders...)

Compare also malus Darkblade to Elric...
                          http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle...alus/index.htm
                          Last edited by Darth Cypher; 10-05-2015, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X