Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite Eternal champion's companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rothgo
    Champion of the Unbalanced
    • Aug 2006

I suspect Jagged has more of an Arioch vibe, but your point stands. Many is the time we see the "same" chat in a JC novel where the protagonist seems to have changed. And indeed, the JC novels seemed to deliberately transition from JC as mover and shaker to JC just scraping by as una took over

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
      Only Slightly Unbalanced
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
      I suspect Jagged has more of an Arioch vibe, but your point stands. Many is the time we see the "same" chat in a JC novel where the protagonist seems to have changed. And indeed, the JC novels seemed to deliberately transition from JC as mover and shaker to JC just scraping by as una took over
      That's certainly how Elric seems to see Jagged in, Elric at the End of Time and Jagged seems a good fit for the roll of Arioch in that tale for the reader, too. However in, The End of All Songs, he preserves the chaotic society of the World at the End of Time, by imposing a final order in the form of an overarching time-loop of the eternal present. So, I get Jagged as a sort of final evolution of the Eternal Champion as Keeper of the Balance between Chaos & Order.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
        Only Slightly Unbalanced
        • Oct 2004

Jagged as the Eternal Champion, literally becomes a Deus ex machina, to bring the narrative to a happy conclusion, because, Dancers at the End of Time, is very much a romantic comedy. A very well delivered one, too.

Comment

Working...
        X