Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Semi Final 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi Final 2

A Nomad of the Time Steams
    The Warlord of the Air; The Land Leviathan; The Steal Tsar

Dancers at the End of Time
    An Alien Heat; The Hollow Lands; The End of All Songs
    A Nomad of the Time Steams
    33.33%
    Dancers at the End of Time
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

Probably equally strong contenders in terms of quality but my love for Dancers wins out.

Comment

A largely sentimental vote for A Nomad from me - plus I'm going to assume that the revised version of The Steel Tsar Mike published in 1993 fixes all the problems in the original weaker final instalment of the trilogy.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Toughest decision of the season for me yet!

My cursor was alternating between the two for a while but the sheer originality of the characters in Dancers swung it.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Got to be Dancers for me
          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Difficult, but it had to be Dancers. The Steel Tsar is better in it's revised version, but it's still not as good as it could have been.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Toughish choice, but Dancers for me. I've always enjoyed the humour. Oh and those Avon paperbacks were nice
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Seems Bastable is a Lame Duck Valse in this one: The Dancers are Waltzing off with it!

Or as Mubbers may have put it: "Shim sham credo waltz! Lulu fado negro drag bambouca toddle, be-bop Pachuko coodena shag!!! Floogee yam. Cha cha cha... bomba!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                  Seems Bastable is a Lame Duck Valse in this one: The Dancers are Waltzing off with it!
                  Bastable is playing on both teams of course, so it's a win-win for him whichever side wins.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I haven't read Dancers ( I know shame on me ), but Nomad Of The Time streams is on my top 3 favorite books ( others LoTR, Anubis Gates ).
                    Last edited by zlogdan; 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM.
                    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                    X