Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

SF Match 2a: The Dancers at the End of Time vs The Warlord of the Air 24 HOUR POLL

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philcom55 View Post
    It must be about forty years since I last read the book, but my abiding memory is of a mildly pleasing confection filled with airy nothing.
    'A mildly pleasing confection filled with fricking Zeppelins', surely?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Looks like dancers already won.

Comment

Previous votes 22 in total over a few days and now 63 over a 24 hour period?
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
          Previous votes 22 in total over a few days and now 63 over a 24 hour period?
          That's the power of a well-aimed mass-email for you.

(I think if we'd sent a few more out at the start of each round we might have got a more consistently high level of participation over the course of the tournament.)
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'll have to vote for Oswald Bastable and his believability.
            ( I couldn't find the poll ).

Comment

Anything with an airship has my vote.

Museum Replicas now has a line of steam punk, airship props as well as a wide selection of swords, knives, spears, maces and war hammers, if you need some.

Comment

Imposib.

I don't mind about the vote. I am just gasping for breath after having re-read the warhound 3 weeks ago, (after 25 years, brilliant) after having settled a divorce with my former computer that really didn't like to continue life after 5 years of whipping, yelling & screaming, and having received an email about a vote at 2:24 last night for a poll that continued for 24 hours and was closed (I guess) at 15:14 hours.
                Dude.
                I have just read another 15 or 20 books in the meantime, lived thru 1 or 2, I need a beer. I am 3/4 my email, and I hope it is going to rain in 15 minutes after 6 months of sunshine, and than I will jump into the street and dance. For 5 minutes and get a life.

Sorry. What?

Comment

Looks like I missed the vote, but I would have gone with Dancers. Saying that neither are in my top ten Moorcock books. When did the blood red game and the deep fix get deafeated?

Comment

?

Originally posted by Ross J Warren View Post
                    Looks like I missed the vote, but I would have gone with Dancers. Saying that neither are in my top ten Moorcock books. When did the blood red game and the deep fix get deafeated?
                    Thinking about this was the Deep fix Moorcock or was it a story in a collection of short stories which included Moorcock? Darn memory.

Comment

Sorry you missed the vote, Ross. I tried to get the mass-emailing out as soon after the poll went live as possible but it looks like some people didn't get it in time. Ah well, at least you have a heads up on the Grand Final this week.

I'm afraid The Blood Red Game (or The Sundered Worlds as we listed it) went out in Round One, but you're not the only person who rates it highly.

'The Deep Fix' is both a short story and a collection although both were originally published under the name of James Colvin. For the purpose of the Moorcock Cup we don't include short stories/novellas or collections/anthologies*.

*The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius is, I believe, the sole exception to that rule (there's always one, isn't there) but only because it can be read as a single narrative rather than a collection of individual stories. It was included in the tournament for the first time this year.

Comment

I love zeppelins! I cast my vote with The Warlord of the Air.

Comment

Dancers at the End of Time

Comment

Everyone loves an airship, graceful and swift. There us a whole sub-genre now, known as Airship Gothic, or Airship/Steampunk.

As I noted above, props for this genre are available for those who love live RPGs. I also think that Cthulhu fiction goes quite well with the genre, and have written a few adventures along those lines.

The Girl Genius series also explores this, much more successfully that I ever will. The spirit was willing, but the mind was weak.

For a bit of a shudder, look up The Ghost Blimp. a true and unexplained mystery of the air.

Comment

Working...
                            X