Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 69 Tiebreaker: Elric of Melniboné vs The Condition of Muzak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 69 Tiebreaker: Elric of Melniboné vs The Condition of Muzak

Tiebreaker between the Big Two....

3 Days only

Elric of Melnibone
    57.89%
    The Condition of Muzak
    42.11%

The poll is expired.

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

"I would remind you, cousin," said Elric quietly, "that the emperor has no duty to his subjects at all, save to rule them. Their duty is to him. That is the tradition of Melniboné."

Comment

'I hear muzak when there´s no one there...'

Comment

If I had the choice of only being able to retain a single copy of one of these two books it'd have to be Elric.

Comment

If everybody vote exactly the same as last time, we'll be bogged down, so everybody please vote just the opposite as first time, okay?
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Well said LE!

Comment

Tough, I love Elric AND Jerry, so if the choice was between Elric of Melniboné and The Final Programme... it would be Six of One, a Half-dozen of the Other! But taking a deep breath and making the choice, it's the Pale Prince for me!

Comment

JERRY!!JERRY!!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I gave Elric a good chance in the first leg, even though it's not my favourite Elric novel - it's still a decent read and I liked it a lot more on my second reading - but I feel that given the tie I can vote for what's probably the stronger, more mature, more complex novel now, so I'm switching my vote to TCoM.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

What happens if it's another draw? Word count maybe? Strongest opening line? A duel between an anaemic man with a sword and a weirdo with a fancy-pants pellet gun?
                    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I've voted for Elric.
                      Why?

Well, just because it's Elric. As so many other fans I started reading Micheal Moorcock with Elric. Reading this book brings back to many memories. Therefore I only can vote for Elric.

BTW. Just finished reading TCoM and it was a very enjoyable read and it also deserves to win but Jerry Cornelius as much as I like him is simply not Elric.

Greetings Flaming Skull
                      Last edited by Flaming Skull; 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM.
                      "He began to flood through the universe and then through the multiverse, to the sound of The Beatles singing "A Day In The Life", throbbing in time to the cosmic pulse. Universe upon universe; dimension upon dimension; they spread out together and the extraneous energie released in the explosionpoured into the box and into Catherine's body." - A Cure For Cancer

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                        What happens if it's another draw?
                        Groakes has a casting vote that he will refrain from using unless the result is still a draw when the tie-breaker closes, I believe.

Originally posted by Flaming Skull View Post
                        Jerry Cornelius...is simply not Elric.
                        Are you sure about that?

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Condition of Muzak - for its resonances of a London now gone, its restatement of Elric themes, pulling together of the previous Cornelius novels, the way Mike begins to find his novelistic voice in the descriptive passages, its knowingness in terms of the narrative, the contrast between the fantastic and the mundane, the use of the Harlequinade within a comic resolution in the Aristotlean sense.

Elric? Nah...
                          \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

It has to be Muzak for me, purely on literary merit.

And for that great Fontana cover too
                            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Ah, sweet... The black box....

"He began to flood through the universe and then through the multiverse, to the sound of The Beatles singing "A Day In The Life", throbbing in time to the cosmic pulse. Universe upon universe; dimension upon dimension; they spread out together and the extraneous energie released in the explosionpoured into the box and into Catherine's body."

Just made it my new signature!
                              "He began to flood through the universe and then through the multiverse, to the sound of The Beatles singing "A Day In The Life", throbbing in time to the cosmic pulse. Universe upon universe; dimension upon dimension; they spread out together and the extraneous energie released in the explosionpoured into the box and into Catherine's body." - A Cure For Cancer

Comment

Working...
                              X