Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 69 Elric of Melnibone vs The Condition of Muzak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 69 Elric of Melnibone vs The Condition of Muzak

Match 69 Elric of Melnibone vs The Condition of Muzak

Elric of Melnibone
    50.00%
    The Condition of Muzak
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

The Song Remains the Same - so its Muzak for me. Even though I ENJOY The English Assassin more, I DO think that the Condition of Muzak is possibly the "better" novel. And as such it is one of the great works of literature, and certainly one of the most stylistically exciting, written in the last century. While I find Elric to be an enjoyable fantasy romp, which fills in plenty of backstory, there is no doubt in my mind that Jerry comes out on top here.
    Last edited by Groakes; 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Elric shall stand tall, for we are now his blade. LET US CUT JERRY INTO PIECES AND TAKE HIS SOUL!
      Eh... I found Elric more enjoyable than The Cure For Cancer. I never really got into it, probably because I wasn't able to understand it. It's been sitting in my bookshelf for a few years, only half-read...

Comment

Echo Brother Groakes 100%!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Got to be JC I'm afraid. EoM is good, but not THAT good.
          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Condition of M for me as well.

Must get round to re-reading The Entropy Tango some time soon.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Went for Jerry. No contest for me.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Blood and Souls
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Voted for Elric but really a Hobson's Choice vote for me since TCoM remains unread at present so although I suspect (very strongly) that it's the better novel I can't say hand-on-heart that I know it is.

There is, of course, now a possibility that if both ML and TCoM make it through to the final that will be two finalists I won't have read (which is why I really want Bastable to beat ML.)
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Ah, suspense!
                    (No objection)
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

No contest imho, TCoM concludes a brilliant quartet dealing with adult themes (sometimes!) in adult / literary terms, whereas EoM just doesn't reach out beyond the fantastic.
                      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I would have loved to see Elric of Melnibone vs. the Final Programme. That would have seemed fitting.

I have to go with Muzak. One of the two best JC books, and honestly I can`t say the same for the Elric`s first appearance.
                        Last edited by J-Sun; 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM.
                        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

It's neck-and-neck: Prince or Pierrot - who will take the checkered flag?

Comment

Pierrot has just edged ahead, again.

Comment

Just like that clown to rise from the dead.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                              X