Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 20 - Mother London vs The Warhound and the World's Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 20 - Mother London vs The Warhound and the World's Pain

Match 20 - Mother London vs The Warhound and the World's Pain
    Mother London
    53.66%
    The Warhound and the World's Pain
    46.34%

The poll is expired.

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

ML by the proverbial country mile for me.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

has to be Mother London, eventhough Warhound was sort of a second wind book of Mike's for me....
      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
      Bakunin

Comment

This the first match I've had to think about... hmmm... Mother London, I guess
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I don't think I can vote on this one! Both of these books are so good, for such entirely different reasons, I don't think I can choose between them. Maybe later.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

This is akin to asking why leg do you want to loose? Brevity wins tonight.

Comment

Extremely difficult choice. Truly different realities, times, styles - and also degree of proximity on the author's side, I'd say. ML is more or less about his London, whereas with Hounds of War he initiated the mysterious intertwined Odysee of the von Beks.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Another technical win for a book I greatly enjoyed when I first read it (though it's been many, many years since I read) [TWHatWP]over a great book that I've not yet read.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was so disappointed that ML didn`t win last year.

Arguably Mike`s best book ever. I think enough people don`t appreciate it, since it isn`t fantasy, but wow what an incredible book, and worth all the hype.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Decided between them using my first impressions and TWatWP wins. Didn't think a great deal of ML first time round, though a re-read sorted that out, while Warhound... blew me away.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                    X