Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 7 - The Sword and the Stallion vs Count Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Groakes
    badseed
    • Jan 2005

The Sword and the Stallion
    64.44%
    Count Brass
    35.56%

The poll is expired.

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin
  • voilodian ghagnasdiak
    Warrior On The Edge
    • Jun 2006

Corum by a length.

Comment

• thingfish
      sairfecht
      • Sep 2007

Same here VG.
      This one may be a cakewalk!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Groakes
        badseed
        • Jan 2005

Corum. No question.
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
          Reconstructulator
          • Aug 2009

S & S.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
            gefangener fuchs
            • May 2006

I love both of these books. These Hawkmoon vs Corum matchups are becoming bloody.
            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• GuyLawley
              Champion of the Balance
              • Aug 2004

I'm clearly in the minority here but I have always dug Count Brass...

Actually even as I typed that sentence I remembered it isn't quite true; I was somehow disappointed by Count Brass when I read it as a teenager, but as an adult re-reader I found I loved it madly. Couldn't explain why. Certainly the melancholy, mysterious atmosphere of the opening chapters sticks with me.
              Last edited by GuyLawley; 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Governor of Rowe Island
                Orgone Accumulator
                • Aug 2004

Working my way through the Hawkmoon books and I haven't got as far as CB, so it's Corum for me.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Rothgo
                  Champion of the Unbalanced
                  • Aug 2006

Mike and his toy soldiers, a concept later brought to the fore in Biloxi. You got to go for the Count!

Comment

• lemec
                    Eternal Champion
                    • Jul 2005

The Sword and the Stallion.

I generally liked them in the order I read the books, meaning Elric, Hawkmoon, Count Brass, The War Hound and the World's Pain, Corum, Erekosë, von Bek, Gloriana etc.

Sometimes I like them in this order:

Elric
                    Dreamquest Trilogy
                    Corum
                    Hawkmoon
                    Erekosë

From there, it's really difficult for me to decide.

An exception would be The Dragon in the Sword that I like as much as Elric novels.

Other individual titles can be too hard to choose which is best.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• David Mosley
                      Eternal Administrator
                      • Jul 2004

Tough call this one; v. tough call. As the final part of a very good trilogy TSatS just edges it over CB, being the start of another very good trilogy though.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                      X