Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 67 Mother London vs Stormbringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Come ooooon you Mothers....
    Did you spill my pint?"
    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Nah,but i did give it a dirty look!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        Originally posted by aeymxq View Post
        i haven't read mother london, but it looks TOTALLY LAME. i don't know if i like mike writing contemporary fiction. it seems ridiculous.
        I really think you should try and read Mother London before dismissing it out of hand so completely. After all, it was short-listed for the Whitbread Award (prestigious literary prize in the UK) - and would have won too by all accounts if Fay Wheldon hadn't changed her vote - so a lot of people consider(ed) it very highly. Contemporary fiction may not be your 'bag' but Mike's 'literary' novels are all part and parcel of his Multiverse so it seems a shame to omit them because they don't feature swords or demons or what have you.
        okay, sheesh, give me a break. all i know of it is that it's written in a contemporary style; that it's contemporary literature, which is something i despise. basically all writing coming out these days is pure schlock. i am not attracted to the idea of one of the greatest fantasists EVER writing "normally". obviously it is my intention to read it, and i'm sure i'll enjoy the hell out of it, but yeah, JUDGING THIS BOOK BY THE COVER, it doesn't interest me at all.

Comment

okay, sheesh, give me a break. all i know of it is that it's written in a contemporary style; that it's contemporary literature, which is something i despise. basically all writing coming out these days is pure schlock. i am not attracted to the idea of one of the greatest fantasists EVER writing "normally". obviously it is my intention to read it, and i'm sure i'll enjoy the hell out of it, but yeah, JUDGING THIS BOOK BY THE COVER, it doesn't interest me at all.

I hear you.

I came to Mike`s stuff because I loved fantasy books, and in fairness the books looked cool because of Gould`s covers.

I am grateful that Mike expanded my reading. As I read more of his books, my horizons were broadened. Yeah, Mother London was a modern piece of fiction. But Stormbringer was something he wrote in his youth, and Mother London was something he wrote far later when his style and themes had matured. It is anything but schlock, but I hear your hesitancy towards modern fiction.

In fairness, I think most fantasy books published these days are terrible schlock. Fantasy as a genre is notorious for atrracting bad bad writers who churn out their latest dungeons and dragons game, and assume that the presense of a sword and a dragon make for a good fantasy novel. Obvioulsy, we recognize that Mike`s works are far superior to that.

In the same way, Mother London is so much higher than a modern fantasy, and I think takes all the things that he refined during his Jerry Cornelius novels and puts them together into a single novel that explores a set of deep themes in a style that is completely original.

So yeah, I think you`ll "love the hell" out of it. I was stunned at how much fun I had in the book. Most of the books that I read are for getting to the end. But Mother London was one of the rare books I have read that I desperately didn`t want to end. If it had been 2000 pages longer, I would have been thrilled. Hands down one of the most incredible books I have read, but it is so complex that I think only a handlful of people have the maturity to appreciate it.

You`ll love it when you get to it! (But read a Jerry Cornelius book first to prep yourself for the style is my opinion. English Assassin would be my suggestion.)
          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

i haven't read mother london, but it looks TOTALLY LAME. i don't know if i like mike writing contemporary fiction. it seems ridiculous.
            It's posts like this that remind me why I frequent this virtual world in the first place. Part of me admires your fanaticism to fantasy (although to my mind it is a pretty poor genre as a whole - but each to their own...), but to dismiss all fiction from a genre or in this case non-genre out of hand is incredibly narrow minded and to insist that one of your fave authors sticks to writing just one genre of book is beyond my comprehension... Even if you personally don't like the look of ML, fair enough (you are totally in your rights to be discriminatory and not read what you don't like the look of - I do it all the time), but to suggest that it is 'ridiculous' for Mike to write something you don't like doesn't show you at your best... If Mike wants to write slushy romantic fiction for teenaged girls, then why not? I don't have to read it - although I probably would.

Anyways, ostensibly Mother Landan is about a bunch of psychics living in the city, so it can be read as a fantasy novel - although not a genre fantasy novel.
            forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
            2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
            3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
              Anyways, ostensibly Mother Landan is about a bunch of psychics living in the city, so it can be read as a fantasy novel - although not a genre fantasy novel.
              Yeah, that`s how I took it. Creepy psychics who can`t block out the thoughts of their fellow citizens, and told in a way that bounces the reader throughout temporal continuity in a way that would leave a Time Lord dizzy. Breathtakingly complex!
              "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
              --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                Yeah, that`s how I took it. Creepy psychics who can`t block out the thoughts of their fellow citizens, and told in a way that bounces the reader throughout temporal continuity in a way that would leave a Time Lord dizzy. Breathtakingly complex!
                To be honest I'm not sure how I took it (apart from in awe) but I certainly enjoyed the ride. I will definitely be rereading it at a later date... I guess it's either psychic weirdness or nutty weirdness... but either way the leaking of a city's thoughts is a great literary device...
                forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I guess it's either psychic weirdness or nutty weirdness...
                  It's nutty psychic weirdness!

Comment

Working...
                  X