Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock Chalice Winner for 2010

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock Chalice Winner for 2010

This year, after a hard fought final, the 2010 Moorcock Chalice is awarded, with a score of 52 over Mother London's valiant 35 (member votes) to, his Imperial Highness

Elric of Melniboné

Probably Mike's most well known creation Elric was identified by many readers as the touchstone that introduced them to the Multiverse. Certainly Elric is right up there in the pantheon of Fantasy heroes (and anti-heroes). He combines the worldly and the philosophical, the lover and the warrior, the weak and the strong in a multilayered character that can be read and enjoyed on many levels.

All Hail the Emperor!
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Congrats to the Emperor! A well-deserved win, since he was the portal through which so many were introduced to Mike's work. Well done, pale sir.

das

Comment

God save the King! Rule Melniboné!
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

All hail the pasty one!

I suppose i should read the damn thing now!

A fine display though by Mother London to face up to the sword and sorcery loving hordes!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Woo hoo! Let's hear it for King Elric!
          Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Woo hoo! Let's hear it for King Elric!

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Moan, moan, moan I suggest that next year, you weight the votes according to the number of pages

Seriously though, thanks once again for doing this, Groakes. Here's to next year

Comment

Thanks Groakes!!!
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Congratulations to the pasty one, commiserations to Kiss et al, and hats off to Groakes for running the whole shebang!
                  Last edited by Rothgo; 03-02-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Wemba-lee, Wemba-lee, we're the famous Mother London and we got to Melnibon-ee. Where we lost in the final, just loike the moighty Villa.
                    Oh well.
                    Josef Kiss the captain played a blinder in goal but I expect being able to read Elric's mind, while it might tell you which way to dive, is a pretty traumatic experience that wore him down in the end. Possibly playing David's Uncle Jim up front was a mistake though; as a civil servant of the old school he was way too impartial to argue with the linesman.

Comment

Well done Elric!
                      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Lord Elric joins Queen Glorianna as rulers of the Multiverse!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinLightfoot View Post
                          Josef Kiss the captain played a blinder in goal but I expect being able to read Elric's mind, while it might tell you which way to dive, is a pretty traumatic experience that wore him down in the end. Possibly playing David's Uncle Jim up front was a mistake though; as a civil servant of the old school he was way too impartial to argue with the linesman.
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The one that started it all for me

Ah here's the book that started my journey into Moorcok's Million Spheres. It was there for me when I needed just that sort of read, thanks Mike and glad Elric of Melnibone' won!

Comment

Working...
                            X