Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Grand Final: Mother London vs Elric of Melniboné

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Final: Mother London vs Elric of Melniboné

vs

This is it!

The Grand Final.

There can only be one....
    Mother London
    61.63%
    Elric of Melnibone
    145.35%

The poll is expired.

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

What a brilliant competition its been with plenty of upsets along the way.
    But its an eay choice for me in the final.
    Mother London.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Wow. Of all the Elric books, his first adventure (well, baring the Making of a Sorcerer) is not the one I would have expected to be in the finals. As it was the first MM book I ever read, something poetic there.

But Mother London, hands down. Absolutely has to be Mike`s best book, if I may say so. I was stunned that it lost when it did last year, and while I will shed a private tear that Bastable didn`t go all the way, in the end I am not surprised to see ML at the top, where it should be.
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Hmm - difficult decision.

ML is Mike's magnum opus. A beautifully crafted paean to a great city.

However, EoM is where it all started for many of us, me included. It's the original and, in my mind, still the best.

So it has to be EoM for me.

Comment

Mother London for me too.

Intrigued to what would have happened if tCoM had made it instead.
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Elric's wee scuffle with Jerry in getting here was all very heroic, but ML could take 'em both!

Comment

Begone, pasty faced clown!

Comment

Mary Gasalee, what a brilliant name. Joseph Kiss, David Mummery.

Definitely a desert island book.

Comment

I'm inspired to pick up and read Mother London for the eleventeenth time

Comment

ML for me all the way. EoM is a good book but it's no cup winner
                    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

@ J-Sun: I don't don't think it is Mikes "best book", because for me he has written more than one best book, ML among them, some others like Byzantium and Vengeance of Rome are at least equal to it.
                      I am voting for ML, because I think it is central to the understanding of a great writer. It is clearly his "declaration of love" to the city that shaped a lot of what we perceive as Moorcock.
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                        Begone, pasty faced clown!

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
                        @ J-Sun: I don't don't think it is Mikes "best book", because for me he has written more than one best book, ML among them, some others like Byzantium and Vengeance of Rome are at least equal to it.
                        I am voting for ML, because I think it is central to the understanding of a great writer. It is clearly his "declaration of love" to the city that shaped a lot of what we perceive as Moorcock.
                        Yeah, yeah.

Obviously I love Mike and most all of his books. Clearly one of the greatest writers of our century, and so many of his books are classics.
                        But for me, I still think of it as his magnum opus. Now, in fairness, there`s a handful I have not read yet (even if they are sitting on the shelf), so I may be premature in my praise. But I will stand behind my assessment of it as his most ambitious and brilliant creation. Is it my opinion? Of course. Do others have to agree? Of course not. But to me, ML is the pinacle.
                        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I've gone with Elric on this one!

Mainly because I've never read 'Mother London' .. I think I'm gonna have to put that right pretty soon!!

Comment

In accordance with the principle of the cosmic balance I feel I have to say my impression of Mother London is that it is "just awful". To be fair I have no clear memory of it, my second reading was only 3 years ago, so maybe I need a third reading, however I generally remember books that I enjoy, so not optimistic.
                            And just to be clear, having followed MWM from age 13 to now, 47, I absolutely love 99% of his writings.
                            Last edited by Old Vig; 02-25-2010, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Has to be Mother London. Didn't think that much of it when I first read it, but it blew me away on the second read. Elric, on the other hand, impressed me on the first read, but when I read it again last year, it was too obvious, to me, that it had been written to fill a back story.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X