Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Round 1 Half Time Scores

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 1 Half Time Scores

Here we are at (more or less) Half Time. A few Surprises and a few very tight matches - who would have picked the match of the round as being between Urlik Skarsol and JC?

Despite a horror draw, (picking up two Pyats) Bastable will probably get through to Round 2 against Dragon in the Sword. Hawkmoon is in trouble, with none of the Runestaff books looking like they stand a chance of making it through to Round 2 at this moment. The rest of the main players are looking pretty competitive.

27-Jan-09
    Match 1 - The Chinese Agent vs The War Among the Angels 5 - 2
    Match 2 - The Ice Schooner vs The Condition of Muzak 4 - 5
    Match 3 - Breakfast In The Ruins vs The End of All Songs 1 - 8
    Match 4 - The Winds of Limbo vs The Queen of the Swords 2 - 7
    Match 5 - The Russian Intelligence vs Fabulous Harbours 1 - 5
    Match 6 - The Blood-Red Game vs Jerusalem Commands 0 - 6
    Match 7 - The Sword of the Dawn vs The Skrayling Tree 1 - 6
    Match 8 - The Brothel in Rosenstrasse vs A Cure For Cancer 5 - 2
    Match 9 - Stormbringer vs Byzantium Endures 5 - 3
    Match 10 - The Vanishing Tower vs Bane of the Black Sword 6 - 1
    Match 11 - The Black Corridor vs The Champion of Garathorm 8 - 1
    Match 12 - The Sailor on the Seas of Fate vs An Alien Heat 2 - 6
    Match 13 - Count Brass vs The Dreamthief's Daughter 1 - 6
    Match 14 - King of the City vs Lord of the Spiders 5 - 1
    Match 15 - The Fortress of the Pearl vs The Eternal Champion 0 - 9
    Match 16 - The Runestaff vs Gloriana 2 - 7
    Match 17 - The Revenge of the Rose vs The Bull and the Spear 4 - 3
    Match 18 - The Oak and the Ram vs The English Assassin 3 - 6
    Match 19 - The Land Leviathan vs The Vengeance of Rome 0 - 6
    Match 20 - Blood vs Weird of the White Wolf 7 - 1
    Match 21 - The War Hound and the World's Pain vs The Hollow Lands 8 - 0
    Match 22 - Elric of Melniboné vs The White Wolf's Son 4 - 2
    Match 23 - Mother London vs The Final Programme 7 - 1
    Match 24 - The City in the Autumn Stars vs City of the Beast 7 - 2
    Match 25 - The Quest for Tanelorn vs The Sleeping Sorceress 9 - 0
    Match 26 - The Steel Tsar vs The Laughter of Carthage 0 - 5
    Match 27 - The Rituals of Infinity vs Phoenix in Obsidian 3 - 5
    Match 28 - The Jewel in the Skull vs The Sword and the Stallion 3 - 5
    Match 29 - The Dragon in the Sword vs The War Lord of the Air 1 - 7
    Match 30 - The Shores of Death vs Behold the Man 1 - 8
    Match 31 - Masters of the Pit vs The Knight of the Swords 1 - 6
    Match 32 - The King of the Swords vs The Mad God's Amulet 7 - 3
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

I've lined up a special Moorcock Cup 2009 forum (with Round 1/2/3/... sub-forums to archive the polls once they've closed) which with Groakes permission I'll make public once Round 2's ready to go.

(To clarify: I'm proposing to host the live polls in the MC2009 forum and then move them to the appropriate sub-forum once ended.)

I wonder what sort of results we would see if we counted the Hawkmoon/Corum/Kane series as single works rather than a multiple titles?* Perhaps we could try that next year? Maybe we could also include novels like The Distant Suns and Silverheart, which I assume were excluded this time because they're collaborations? (TBC is also a collaboration, btw.)

*It's the sort of phenomenon that prevents a Terry Pratchett novel winning any 'Nest Book' award because the fans split their votes across 30-odd books rather than picking just one to all get behind.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
      I've lined up a special Moorcock Cup 2009 forum (with Round 1/2/3/... sub-forums to archive the polls once they've closed) which with Groakes permission I'll make public once Round 2's ready to go.

(To clarify: I'm proposing to host the live polls in the MC2009 forum and then move them to the appropriate sub-forum once ended.)
      Sounds like a great idea Dave - I'll leave it in your culpable hands....

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
      I wonder what sort of results we would see if we counted the Hawkmoon/Corum/Kane series as single works rather than a multiple titles?* Perhaps we could try that next year? Maybe we could also include novels like The Distant Suns and Silverheart, which I assume were excluded this time because they're collaborations? (TBC is also a collaboration, btw.)

*It's the sort of phenomenon that prevents a Terry Pratchett novel winning any 'Nest Book' award because the fans split their votes across 30-odd books rather than picking just one to all get behind.
      A slightly different phenomena perhaps in that the intention here is to split the vote across books - we don't have to worry about "competing" with other authors.

I sort of did forget that TBC is a collaboration (which is why The Distant Suns and Silverheart and Time of the Hawklords etc) were excluded. Though to be scrupulously honest about this I probably wouldn't have excluded TBC under any condition as it is one of my all time favourites - it would have to be up against pretty stiff competition (Mother London, Gloriana, a Pyat etc) to lose my vote....
      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
      Bakunin

Comment

Working...
      X