Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 28 - The Jewel in the Skull vs The Sword and the Stallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen_E_Andrews View Post
    Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
    Originally posted by Stephen_E_Andrews View Post
    Just a digression which I'm sure has come up here before - I've always thought of The Black Corridor as a quasi-prologue to Jewel, depicting as it does people in Britain starting to choose masks. What does everyone esle think of this theory?
    One of my earliest posts here raised that very possibility, Steve.
    This point was actually made to me back in about 1981 by a friend of mine - we were discovering Moorcock's works in tandem with each other (but I must admit he got into them first and I borrowed his copy of The Final Programme). Do you know the lyrics to 'Choose Your Masks' by Hawkwind? They are related to TBC and Hawkmoon too, IMHO.
    The earliest mention of masks in Mike's work is - afaik - in The Shores of Death, when Andros Anders' people take to wearing them. There might also be some masks in The Wrecks of Time/The Rituals of Infinity judging by the DAW paperback cover:

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'll have to read them again - it's been at least twenty years since I read those titles.
      2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

I missed this one but Jewel won anyway, which is the book I would have voted for...
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
        X