Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 28 - The Jewel in the Skull vs The Sword and the Stallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 28 - The Jewel in the Skull vs The Sword and the Stallion

should be a close match....

what's its all about http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=11110
    The Jewel in the Skull
    61.54%
    The Sword and the Stallion
    38.46%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Groakes; 01-22-2009, 06:49 PM.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

eenie meenie mini moe....

Comment

The beginning of one champion or the end of another....

I think I have to go for Corum just for the tragic celticness of it all....
      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
      Bakunin

Comment

Its S & S for me as i love the bit where he goes on to the Island of Dreams/Nightmares.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The start of my fav character, Hawkmoon. So that wins it. Had it been vs. Bull and Spear (a much better book than S&S IMHO), then I might have had issues but, as it stands, Dorian wins by a country mile.

Comment

Okay I was going to vote for S&S - and posted to say as much - but I've just checked my review of S&S and I'm having second thoughts now. I stand by my assertion that the Corum is a more mature fantasy series than the Hawkmoon quartet but I thought the ending to the second Corum trilogy was somewhat perfunctory and although I liked the episode with the alternative Melnibonéans I think my recollections of the novel were influenced by the superior earlier books in the trilogy.

So, since Jewel was the first of Mike's books I read and it arguably started me down the road that's led me here and on the principal that you never forget your first love I'm going to change my mind and vote for Hawkmoon.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

While I enjoyed the first Hawkmoon a lot, I've come this far with Corum and I'm sticking by him.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I am biased here and voted for the Jewel in the Skull as it was the first MM I read and it was the first step to a completely different mindset I'll be eternally thankful for.
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Jewel for me - great characters that are all really memorable, a superb title and great bits of satire in the Granbretan Empire scenes - the Arral Vilson indeed! (not sure if I have the spelling right there).

Just a digression which I'm sure has come up here before - I've always thought of The Black Corridor as a quasi-prologue to Jewel, depicting as it does people in Britain starting to choose masks. What does everyone esle think of this theory?
                  2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

After recently reading TBC i think there could be something in that Steve.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

despite my affinity with Corum (Muroc), Hawkmoon was my first love (in a none sexual way please understand) and so I went against logic and voted for dear old Hawkmoon.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Originally posted by Muroc View Post
                        despite my affinity with Corum (Muroc), Hawkmoon was my first love (in a none sexual way please understand) and so I went against logic and voted for dear old Hawkmoon.
                        You mean that Hawkmoon and his soft-pink light gang of 'rowdy boys' who 'come' at his command, his magic rod and his big showy medalion weren't the clues one might have guessed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                          Originally posted by Muroc View Post
                          You mean that Hawkmoon and his soft-pink light gang of 'rowdy boys' who 'come' at his command, his magic rod and his big showy medalion weren't the clues one might have guessed?
                          Oh, you're so very wicked

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen_E_Andrews View Post
                            Just a digression which I'm sure has come up here before - I've always thought of The Black Corridor as a quasi-prologue to Jewel, depicting as it does people in Britain starting to choose masks. What does everyone esle think of this theory?
                            One of my earliest posts here raised that very possibility, Steve.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                              Originally posted by Stephen_E_Andrews View Post
                              One of my earliest posts here raised that very possibility, Steve.
                              This point was actually made to me back in about 1981 by a friend of mine - we were discovering Moorcock's works in tandem with each other (but I must admit he got into them first and I borrowed his copy of The Final Programme). Do you know the lyrics to 'Choose Your Masks' by Hawkwind? They are related to TBC and Hawkmoon too, IMHO.
                              2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X