Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 24 - The City in the Autumn Stars vs City of the Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 24 - The City in the Autumn Stars vs City of the Beast

City derby!!!

what's its all about http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=11110
    The City in the Autumn Stars
    78.57%
    City of the Beast
    21.43%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Groakes; 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

No contest.

Comment

Ditto.
      But then again i havent read the other one!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Autumn Stars is just magical
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

Totally!
          I even prefer it to Warhound and thats saying something!!
          I think it would make a much better movie than any of the Elric ones,it already has a cinematic feel in place imho.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I couldn't stand the Autumn Stars: only the Distant Suns could have given it a fair fight in my book. So go Kane!

Comment

Never finished City in the Autumn Stars - possibly the first Moorcock novel I gave up on, which was disappointing after enjoying War Hound so much. Came to Kane very late in the day and was surprised by how much I liked it, so on that basis and that basis alone I'm voting for President Obama's new Cadillac Limousine!
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

This is brilliant!!
                Its amazing how we can all be into the same things but have such different tastes.
                City in the Autumn stars is one of the books i would salvage if my house was on fire!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Ditto: loved/currently loving CIAS, but a retread of someone else's vision of Mars? Naaaa.

CIAS by two holds and a submission.
                  Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Autumn Stars has long been one of my favourites, possibly even my favourite MM novel after the Cornelius sequence.

However, I'm always teasing a friend of mine about how good the Michael Kane books are, knowing they are (forgive me MM) mere Burroughsian pastiches written and read for fun. This friend doesn't have a high opinion of them, but then he's yet to read much of the early Planetary Romances they homage...he'll come around!
                    2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

TCitAS, because I loved the echoes of TFP and The Alchemist's Question in it.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post

This is brilliant!!
                        Its amazing how we can all be into the same things but have such different tastes.
                        City in the Autumn stars is one of the books i would salvage if my house was on fire!!
                        and yet you haven't read the 'competition' ... sorry my friend TF but I'm going head to head with you on this one - I'm going with the opposition since the "Kane" series was where I cut my MM teeth so many years ago and my first love.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

No problem Muroc!!
                          Lets do it old stylee,in the back garden with matching vest and pants!!
                          Actually until very recently i hadnt even HEARD of the Michael Kane books so i had to vote for CITAS.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            ....until very recently i hadnt even HEARD of the Michael Kane books ...
                            Yeah. Not a lot of people know about them...
                            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Nice one Des!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X