Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 23 - Mother London vs The Final Programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 23 - Mother London vs The Final Programme

could be a flogging perhaps?

what's its all about http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=11110
    Mother London
    77.78%
    The Final Programme
    22.22%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Groakes; 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

I voted cornelius to add suspense.... no really I loved ML just had to go with the iconic cornelius.

Comment

Much as i love TFP its really hard to vote against the behemoth that is Mother London.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Mother London is in my top five of Mike's books so I can't really say no there
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

The clue is in the title: it's a mother of a book.

Comment

Easy. There is no JC in Mother London. Plus ML is a stonking, well-constructed and well-written book with wonderful characters.

Des
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Ha! Mother London is the better book.

I still love the Final Programme, too, though.

However, Mother London is most definitely not a 'Fantasy' book.

I saw it in the weird, online, selection of top 1000 sf and fantasy, on the Guardian website, the other day.

It should really be disallowed from this poll, on the grounds that it is, so called, straight, semi-autobiographical, fiction and not fantasy.

Who hasn't had an emotional, at least, semi-, telepathic moment? For instance.

Comment

ML is another on my 'to be read' list, but while TFP is a 'good read' I somehow find the whole is less than the sum of its parts and ML's reputation precedes it.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Mind you i can just imagine Josef or the Scaramanga sisters popping up in the Jerry books!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

ML, it might not be a fantasy book but it is fantastic.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

The Final Programme. I tried ML recently and couldn't get into it, will have to gove it another try.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                      X