Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Match 2 - The Ice Schooner vs The Condition of Muzak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match 2 - The Ice Schooner vs The Condition of Muzak

Feel free to discuss your choice

what's it all about
    http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=11110
    The Ice Schooner
    41.67%
    The Condition of Muzak
    58.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Groakes; 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

A very tricky one!!
    I ended up going for The Ice Schooner because of the atmosphere Mike produces in it and the character of Konrad i liked a lot.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

This was tricky indeed: but for being all-in-the-one-place, the Ice Scooner wins for standing on its own two feet.

Comment

Mmmm this one could go to penalties!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I've probably got six or seven version of these two books all told, so it's not an easy choice. For me, though, it has to be TCoM. It has my favourite scenes with JC in it.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Ooch this was the hard one to cast a vote on.

Comment

Ice Schooner all the way. I hate must be thick: I just don't get JC.

Des
              Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Looks like it could well go to penalties.... I may have to come up with a ruling on this sometime in case of draws...

...but Anyway, as much as I love the Ice Schooner (and the superb Rodney Mathews poster graced my teenage bedroom wall for a years) TCOM, I think, is one of Mike's finest works. I remember almost hating it for how it turned JC inside out (again!) but the totality of it was just superb (and now I have a small Pierrot instead of Rodney Mathews).
                Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                Bakunin

Comment

I'm going to vote for The Ice Schooner, mainly because I haven't yet read TCoM (started it but didn't finish it many years ago). I think I said that I regarded TIS as Mike's first 'proper' novel after his early pulp sf work in the '60s so even if TCoM is the better work I don't think TIS would be an undeserving winner if it manages to beat the Cornelius.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Groakes View Post
                    Looks like it could well go to penalties.... I may have to come up with a ruling on this sometime in case of draws...

...but Anyway, as much as I love the Ice Schooner (and the superb Rodney Mathews poster graced my teenage bedroom wall for a years) TCOM, I think, is one of Mike's finest works. I remember almost hating it for how it turned JC inside out (again!) but the totality of it was just superb (and now I have a small Pierrot instead of Rodney Mathews).
                    I too had that poster on my teenage bedroom wall... but I went with Muzak because.... well ... just because it was good 'ol' Jerry...

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Both fine books, but I went with Condition of Muzak, as the 'key' to the Cornelius stories.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                      X