Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock characters Vs. Tolkien characters: Who can out drink the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock characters Vs. Tolkien characters: Who can out drink the other?

Moorcock characters Vs. Tolkien characters: Who can out drink the other?
    A Moorcock character (please list their name below)
    50.00%
    A Tolkien character (please list their name below)
    50.00%
    Hawkmoon
    0.00%
    Legolas
    0.00%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Surely it's Shakey Mo?
    And I include Sauron in there: nobody outdrinks Shakey Mo!

Comment

Surely Gimli should be in that list rather than Legolas? (And I don't really recall Hawkmoon being a particularly heavy drinker, was he?)

Anyway, Bombur probably could give Shakey Mo a run for his money.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        Surely Gimli should be in that list rather than Legolas? (And I don't really recall Hawkmoon being a particularly heavy drinker, was he?)

Anyway, Bombur probably could give Shakey Mo a run for his money.
        Yeah. Legolas was an extended edition movie cheat, not book related.

His Elvish blood seemed unaffected while Gimli began to lose his hold on his mug and started to waver and pass out.

Normally, I'd say Gimli or Bombur as well.

Hawkmoon series spoiler:

Some Hobbits at The Green Dragon might hold their own in a competition.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I vote for Jerry Cornelius, he and I share a love for Pernod.
          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I would say a Tolkien character would outdrink them.
            The hobbits and dwarves. Any hobbit. Party animals who have second breakfast and eat and drink A LOT!

Dwarves are hardcore drinkers and eaters too.

Elves get drunk too. Ignore the stupid Legolas film crap.
            In the books they're just as capable of getting drunk and drinking as anyone else.
            In the Hobbit they are having a feast when the dwarves get captured. The captain of the guard steals a cask of wine meant for the feast.
            The book! Not the desperate film garbage.
            They could probabely all drink a lot. But hobbits and dwarves would win hands down.
            Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

Tom Bombadil but I fear he'd be unaffected by beer and his charm would soon become a dreadful bore.... Although hed probably get on with those pomander tea drinking bears....
              "What do you think you're doing? This is a closed set!"

Comment

Originally posted by muckyshoe View Post
                ... would soon....
                You are being very generous there!

Comment

Haven't voted yet because...well, I'm unsure. I do want to leave a drive-by comment though, that it would likely depend on exactly what they are drinking. Ale? I vote a Hobbit or Dwarf. Exotic Yellow Wine? I vote Elric.
                  "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                  --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Bring the whole lot to the Moorcock Inn , Porcus and I will show the lot of them how to drink , as long as they keep away from the PanTang Pole Dancers

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Depends on what they're drinking, no?

I'd say Moorcock character's can out drink Tolkien ones when it comes to absinthe or Yellow Wine. Because, far as I know, Tolkien's worlds are entirely bereft of such concoctions or anything like them.

Comment

Working...
                      X