Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite Eternal champion's companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Originally posted by Ulric Skarsol View Post
    Moonglum, in his own way he is as much an Eternal Champion as Elric is.
    I agree. Moonglum was more than the guy fighting at Elric's side, he was everything Elric was not, thus complimenting him, making him whole - almost like a wife.

I have a question (which I probably should know, but since I read so much in such a short time, I haven't retained everything). Elric served Chaos - did Moonglum serve Law? I can't quite remember if it was ever mentioned.

das
    I doubt that Moonglum would follow Law. Afterall, he is from Elwher and that is in Eshmir which if I remember correctly Phum is also located. I am pretty sure Eshmir gives allegiane to Chaos. Rackhir was a Warrior-Priest of Phum and served the Chaos lords as well. So I would expect that Moonglum was either a bit on the Chaos side or completely neutral(balanced).

/shrug

I voted for Jhary cuz I like Whiskers.
    I mean how fabulous is a winged cat??
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post
      I doubt that Moonglum would follow Law. Afterall, he is from Elwher and that is in Eshmir which if I remember correctly Phum is also located. I am pretty sure Eshmir gives allegiane to Chaos. Rackhir was a Warrior-Priest of Phum and served the Chaos lords as well. So I would expect that Moonglum was either a bit on the Chaos side or completely neutral(balanced).

/shrug

I voted for Jhary cuz I like Whiskers.
      I mean how fabulous is a winged cat??
      Okay - thanks. I truly didn't remember if it was mentioned, or not. I've only read through the bulk of the stories once, and much faster than I anticipated (to be able to participate in a book discussion on a blog I frequent), so was a bit foggy on exactly where Moonglum's loyalties lie...lied...laid...lain...oh, whatever!

das

Comment

I agree. Moonglum was more than the guy fighting at Elric's side, he was everything Elric was not, thus complimenting him, making him whole - almost like a wife.

I have a question (which I probably should know, but since I read so much in such a short time, I haven't retained everything). Elric served Chaos - did Moonglum serve Law? I can't quite remember if it was ever mentioned.

das
        If Moonglum served anything it would have been the Balance. His swords were etched by Seripth with a charm of Law.

Law and Chaos are needed in every world. The Balance is what keeps then in check, Sometimes Law or Chaos will win out in a plane, and then that plane will become unlivable by either Mنbden, Eldren, or Maelnibonéian.
        `Old heroes never die; they reappear in sequels.` - M. Moorcock.

Comment

das
          If Moonglum served anything it would have been the Balance. His swords were etched by Seripth with a charm of Law.

Law and Chaos are needed in every world. The Balance is what keeps then in check, Sometimes Law or Chaos will win out in a plane, and then that plane will become unlivable by either Mنbden, Eldren, or Maelnibonéian.

That makes wonderful sense! Even looking at it solely from the standpoint of the story, Moonglum was not at odds with Elric (Law v Chaos), but instead he was like Elric's...goat. You know what I mean - when a goat is stabled with a high-spirited steed to keep them calm and in check - that is what Moonglum was for Elric. His goat...his reality check...'balance', as it were.

das

Comment

I had to go with Jhary. As much as I loved Moonglum Jhary had a life and point of view that was, IMHO, his own in a way that went much further than being a heroic side-kick. I also remember (although I can't think of where from) him going on a tirade about having to hang out with one morbid, self-absorbed champion after another that made me laugh. Besides, I can't think of a better ice-breaker than having a pet winged cat- it beats the hell out of any pick up line I can think of<---too bad this guy doesn't have wings :p

Comment

Huillam D'Averc is not a champion's companion : Oladahn is the friend of Hawkmoon.
              Papi

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                Its Jhary for me,the Bob the Builder of Eternal champions companions!!
                Me too!!

Comment

A close call between Moonglum and Jhary, but for me it's Jhary, because of his sense of humour, cynism and style of clothes (a sharp dressed man).

Comment

Companion of Champions

I like Moonglum and Jhary best - but Jhary gets the vote by being two, the cat counts as much as the man.
                    'He's frozen in a timetrap,
                    Slowly losing power.
                    Frightened if he makes a move,
                    The dream will soon turn sour...'

Comment

Jhary, one of Moorcock's most likeable characters, with his cool kitty cat It's in the swagger of his clothes.
                      Energy Is Eternal Delight

Comment

Friar Tristelunne

Tristelunne means glum moon.....
                        "What do you think you're doing? This is a closed set!"

Comment

I like all of them, but I'm going to be predictable and say Jhary.

Comment

Working...
                          X