Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite Eternal champion's companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Eternal champion's companion

Who would yopu choose as companion-friend?
    Moonglum
    34.78%
    Jihary-a-Conel
    36.96%
    D'Averc
    23.91%
    Oladahn
    4.35%
    Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
    Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
    Dorian Hawkmoon

Shall we perhaps ask first for nominations to widen the field a bit before limiting choices to just four companions? Smiorgan Baldhead counts as a companion before Moonglum I believe and Rackhir as well (although bizarrely he also counts as an incarnation of the EC). Any other suggestions? (The poll can be edited to add additional companions once a 'long-list' has been arrived at.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

You're right! We'll edit the poll after nominations, I mentioned the ones who were a longer time with their EC
      Last edited by Dorian-Hawkmoon; 08-12-2008, 12:39 PM.
      Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
      Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
      Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

Winged cat... nothing wrong with that! He's also Moxious enough that he might have learned something useful from an intimate encounter with one of your worst enemies in a different universe, for all you know...
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Jermays the Crooked may be my favorite.
          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

A soft spot for D'Averc

D’Averc’s death saddened me the most so he became my favorite companion by that virtue alone. It felt like a hero waited just beneath his mercenary surface, but before he could achieve glory or peace he was cut down. He didn't even get to achive his last goal. Very tragic. Great character.
            "It has been argued that God demands only that men and women should demand much of themselves."

Lucifer

Comment

Might need a bit more clarification. Are we voting for the one we enjoyed reading the most? or the one we would choose if going on an "Adventure" of our own?

Comment

D'averc is a great character

Jhary A-Conel just isnt around enough to help Corum as much as he needs it

Moonglum's the man! always looking for the next meal, gem, drink or occupied bed, truly a great sidekick and his 2-weapon fighting style and rogues skills are a great boon to Elric

Comment

Its Jhary for me,the Bob the Builder of Eternal champions companions!!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I'm gonna be traditional and say Moonglum .
                    I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

Renark von Bek is a companion in Blood Red Game/Sundered Worlds, right? I do like him.

And I like Smirogan Baldhead....

And I like Dyvim Tvar, wielder of Morunblade...

And Sam Oakenhurst...

Drat! Too many good companions to choose from.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian-Hawkmoon View Post
                        I'll vote for Moonglum - Myrmidon's description of him pretty well sums it up. He's a great companion and one I'd like to have at my side were I a morbidly depressed antihero or any other adventurer for that matter. But then, I've only read the Elric books so far, so my knowledge of the other is - er - non-existent.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                          Originally posted by Dorian-Hawkmoon View Post
                          I'll vote for Moonglum - Myrmidon's description of him pretty well sums it up. He's a great companion and one I'd like to have at my side were I a morbidly depressed antihero or any other adventurer for that matter. But then, I've only read the Elric books so far, so my knowledge of the other is - er - non-existent.
                          I love Moonglum, too...mainly because he's usually thinking/reacting the same way I would if I were by Elric's side...kinda like......*sigh* ...here we go again.

Plus, I find his affection for Elric, despite everything, a bit touching.

das

Comment

Moonglum, in his own way he is as much an Eternal Champion as Elric is.

When Elric does not follow prophesy in the Sad Giant's Shield, Moonglum kill's the giant because Elric would not.
                            Last edited by Ulric Skarsol; 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM.
                            `Old heroes never die; they reappear in sequels.` - M. Moorcock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulric Skarsol View Post
                              Moonglum, in his own way he is as much an Eternal Champion as Elric is.
                              I agree. Moonglum was more than the guy fighting at Elric's side, he was everything Elric was not, thus complimenting him, making him whole - almost like a wife.

I have a question (which I probably should know, but since I read so much in such a short time, I haven't retained everything). Elric served Chaos - did Moonglum serve Law? I can't quite remember if it was ever mentioned.

das

Comment

Working...
                              X