Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite Eternal Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Eternal Champion

Who's your favourite Eternal Champion?
    Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
    Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
    Dorian Hawkmoon

Clovis Marca?

Simon of Byzantium?

Jack Karaquazian?

Michael Kane?

Sojan?

Professor Faustaff?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Vote 'Elric' in '08!

First of the EC stuff that I read.

First Moorcock I read, actually.

Moorcock: 'The Deepest Fix of All!'
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Elric, the coolest soul sucking swordsman of all; spawner of countless imitations in online RPGs; some admins keep a tally, I hear.
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

I voted for von Bek (WHanWP one, though "Dreamthief's Daughter von Bek is a close second)

If Count Brass had a been up there I would have had a real dilemma on my hands

Comment

Hawkmoon's the man.

In the late 80s, when I started in the Multiverse, my favorite was always Corum Jhaelen Irsei-- I just loved him for his gentle, peaceful manner (even after the Mabden killed off not only his whole kin, but actually his whole race), his philosophic, cultivated bearing, his poethic, nay, romantic manner.

But nowadays, I prefer Hawkmoon: I admire him for his willingness to fight evil the hard way, Evil, who allways is eager to bring suffering over the innocent, while refusing to be corrupted by it himself.

Comment

Why the Albino?

Bastable. He flew airships. There is nothing cooler in the multiverse.

Erm.. I'm new to the site and don't want to anger anyone but... Elric's a wet lettuce!

Oh dear, sure I'm in trouble for that but I read his books after I read a few other champions and he just seemed like a sulky goth. I know he's incredibly significant in the multiversal span of things but he just aint as much fun as the rest of the Champions.

Why does everyone love him so? If he was your first contact with Moorcock's work it makes a bit more sense but he just seems so run-of-the-mill to me. Was it that he was the first of his kind and everyone else has aped him since? I thought that one-man-heavy-destiny thing was as old as words.
              Please don't throw me off the site, I mean no offense, just curious.

Comment

Jerry C, for me! He's a complete rascal with very few redeeming features and a complete lack of morality. He's also a complete charmer and a bit of a mod, when it comes to clothes.

Great stuff!

Elric is indeed a wet lettuce, but that's part of his charm. you can just imagine him sitting down to a deep philosophical discourse, with Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus, shortly before Stormbringer reaped their souls.

Erikosé and Hawkmoon, for staunch and traditional Hero stuff.

Jerek Carnelian for innocent abroad, stranger in strange land, fun, Candide-style, hero stuff.

Lord Jagged of Canaria, for being the Daddy and Deus ex Moorcock, of them all. Is he perhaps, even, Arioch?

Comment

To be honest, I think Elrik's somewhat overrated, too. Particulary by Mr Moorcock.

Michael Moorcock has created so many other heroes. And some of them are at least so memorable, so "classical" as Elrik-- I'm thinking of Jherreck, Corum, Hawkmoon & Erekose, of course.

But they tend to get treated as unwanted steepchildren-- especially by their own creator. Heck, they don't even get their own forums. I'd just love to see a Corum forum, a End of Time forum, etc. I think it'd encourage people to indulge into discussions about other aspects of Mike's work, too!

Comment

Definitely agree with you there. Reckon most of Moorcock's best stuff has no, or only faint, connections to E.C. Plenty more to discuss.

Where's the Pyat forum?

"My cities will fly!"

Awesome.

Comment

Elric+Stormbringer=Awesome. That's all I want to say.

Comment

Well no offense taken for not realizing that everything else followed Elric and becasue you saw those things first it killed it for you, if you had read Kull before Conan who would be the less origanal? etc..

Elric only seems run of the mill to you because everything else ripped off his uniqueness by trying to be as anti-hero as the real original anti hero-"Elric was dark when there was only light" he isnt some fem prissy wanna be neck-biting vampire he killed his whole race for letting him down and following his cousin the only one he cared about died on his sword

In fairness I only really believe that the original 6 novels and some of the short stories are really worth reading, thats all there was when I read Elric 28 years ago and I believe that the additional stories ( dreamthiefs daughter, Revenge of the rose, etc ) only served to soften and lessen Elrics alien anti-hero appeal sorry there should be no soft feelings for that poor bastard after Cymoril is killed, he isnt the "forget and move on, things will get better type" also the new novels feel contrived and shoehorned in -bought and read them anyway-any Elric is better than any Robert Jordan LOL

There is no more powerful weapon possesed by any mortal anywhere than Stormbringer
                        Last edited by Myrmidon; 02-27-2009, 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Its supercool Jerry for me with Corum a close second!
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Von Bek is probably my favorite champion. Though I love Dancers at the End of Time, I'm not especially big on Jherek Carnelian himself. There isn't much to him besides his puppy dog love, and I find many of his associates steal the novel (Jagged, Mongrove, Werther, Shark, etc.).
                            Cloudscape Comics
                            A society of independent comic creators in Vancouver
                            "Connecting the BC comics community since 2008"

Comment

Jerry C, for me. No question.
                              2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X