Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Vadhagh vs. Melnibone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vadhagh vs. Melnibone

Poll:

Vadhagh vs. Melnibone

who would be the victor?
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Interesting question. We have on the one hand the Chaos inspired summonings and sorceries and dragons of Melnibone arrayed against, on the other hand, the technologies and flying citys of the more lawfully inspired Vadhagh.

In the end I had to vote for the Mabden, as I believe ultimately both the Vadhagh and Melniboneans would sink into complacency and be consumed. Or else be so depleted by their conflict as to fall prey ultimately to the Mabden.

Comment

*bump*

Poll added (only three years late)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

There are a lot of variables to consider.
        Asuming both are at the peak of their power, it's still difficult.

Whilst the Vadhagh have their sorcery/science such as their cities, their mega weapons etc.
        The Melniboneans have pretty impressive magical abilities and don't forget their otherwordly allies, such as Arioch and elementals, and demons summoning and all sorts f stuff like that.

If it was on the young kingdoms plane and the Melniboneans could summon say, Arioch, they would win.
        Otherwise, I reckon the Vadhagh.

Comment

Level pegging, I'd say. In the end it would come down to numbers, but as Grey Mouser pointed out the Mabden would be the ultimate winners

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

I've modified the original poll to now include the Mabden as an option, since there seems to be at least two votes for them.

If Guv would like to amend his vote in light of this amendment drop me a PM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Vadhagh and the Melniboneans are pretty evenly matched. Coming from the fact that the sereve Law and Chaos respectivly, I'd say they'd just fight themselves to a stale-mate and then the humans would destroy them.
              Random thought? What would you get is a Vadhagh and a Melnibonean had a baby? Serious question to consider here.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                If Guv would like to amend his vote in light of this amendment drop me a PM.
                Nah! Still think the way I voted, thanks.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Melnibone.

The Vadhagh have forgotten how to wage war and lack the amorality and cruelty of Melnibone. The science of the Vadhagh is evenly matched by the sorcery of Melnibone. You can be sure,the Melniboneans wouldn't flinch to wage total, relentless war; something that seems foreign to the Vadhagh. Melnibone has the dragons as well.

Mabden? Bah! If it wasn't for Elric guiding the Sea lords through the caves and taken Melnibone by surprise, the Dragon Isle would have resisted the Young Kingdoms. If by "Mabden" you mean the men similar to the men of Pan Tang instead of "men" in general, I think, in Elric's time, Pan Tang might eventually prevail because of numerical superiority and an active pursuit of sorcery. What if, however, Melnibone came to see the threat Pan Tang posed and launched a pre-emptive strike with its dragons?
                  Hmm...

Comment

Heh, well the Eldren would probably be able to beat both races hands down, but its unlikely they'd want to.
                    After all, the three are from the same root-race!

Either that, or the Vadhagh would just open up a big gate and dump the Melniboneans, the Mabden and Arioch right out of the Fifteen Planes! :D
                    Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Max von Bek View Post
                      Either that, or the Vadhagh would just open up a big gate and dump the Melniboneans, the Mabden and Arioch right out of the Fifteen Planes! :D
                      Well let's be serious. Corum takes out Arioch, then they open a gate into the next realm. I seriously doubt that you can get ride of a Lord of Chaos with just one interdemensional gate.

Comment

I voted for the Vadhagh but only on the pretense that such a conflict occurs while Corum still possesses the Hand Of Kwll and The Eye Of Rhynn.
                        The Hand Of Kwll could summon defeated and deceased Melniboneans to in turn war against themselves.
                        If you were to narrow this down to say Corum versus Elric....alas poor Corum would be short lived as The Prince With The Silver Hand.
                        Science against sorcery is a lopsided conflict.
                        The Albino prince and Stormbringer would be virtually unstoppable.
                        Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 05-17-2007, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
                          Of course, it would depend in which realm any such conflict took place. You'll remember from 'While the Gods Laugh' that in the Chaos underground sea realm, Stormbringer was practically impotent.

Comment

To be fair I think a conflict where each race can use their best tactics and wepons.Melnibone would be the winners cause they were kicking Mabden a**s hands down for centuries while Vadhagh couldn't win against gods themselves.Melniboneans could summon all kinds of demons while the technology-no matter how advanced-provided limited arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
                              I voted for the Vadhagh but only on the pretense that such a conflict occurs while Corum still possesses the Hand Of Kwll and The Eye Of Rhynn.
                              The Hand Of Kwll could summon defeated and deceased Melniboneans to in turn war against themselves.
                              If you were to narrow this down to say Corum versus Elric....alas poor Corum would be short lived as The Prince With The Silver Hand.
                              Science against sorcery is a lopsided conflict.
                              Well, if were looking at Elric verses Corum, then shouldn't we take into account that they are both versions of the Eternal Champion. Isn't there a rule or something that the Eternal Champion isn't allowed to fight avatars of itself or do I need to read more Moorcock?

Comment

Working...
                              X