Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which of these books do you like best? Poll #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these books do you like best? Poll #2

Poll Number 2

Which of these books by Michael Moorcock do you like best?
    The Jewel in the Skull (1967)
    50.00%
    Count Brass (1973)
    21.88%
    Sojan (Collection, Paperback, 1977)
    0.00%
    Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer (Graphic Novel Series 2007)
    15.63%
    Black Petals (Weird Tales magazine March/April 2008)
    12.50%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Making of a Sorcerer is utterly splendid IMO: building up the characters and motivations of the elementals, Dragons etc (and Elric of course) without getting in the way of some great stories. And an ideal vehicle for a TV-series!

Comment

I had to vote for The Jewel in the Skull because it's the only one I've read. As much as I love the Elric stories I'm a little put off my graphic novels in general. I've tried to get into Watchmen and Neil Gaiman's Sandman series and they just don't hold my attention the way novels do.

Comment

TJitS was the first Moorcock book I ever read but I think the writing in Count Brass is a considerable number of notches above it, especially the chapter(s) detailing Hawkmoon's descent into madness playing with his toy soldiers.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
          ...Hawkmoon's descent into madness playing with his toy soldiers.
          One might consider whether Hawmoon's games were intellectual only, or was he "subconsciously-actively" perceiving/creating other realities in search of one that would suit him? Probably not, but what the hell eh?!

It is also a nice aspect to that period of madness that Mike happens to be quite fond of toy soldiers himself!

Comment

That part in Count Brass always did stand out to me.
            It was excellent. In addition, I could really comprehend how one could replay events over many times and re-think moves repeatedly.

I like your idea, Rothgo. There might be places where we can see multiple spectral images of Dorian Hawkmoon overlapping with other ghost-like figures, playing out roles on an infinite number of worlds, with a grand and different assortment of infinite end results.

---------

I liked all these stories.

I love all Hawkmoon and Brass tales.

I really dug the Elric story of Black Petals, some classic adventure fun there.

I just so enjoyed Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer, especially during the year of first publication. It hit the right spot. That is why I consider it best of these. The visual aspects really are cool and tip the balance for me.

I find that learning more about the Elric character is highly interesting and wonderfully entertaining. Plus, there were just so many cool things involved in the graphic novel pages. A great multitude of good things. And, I reckon that I place anything of Elric above all stories.

Even Sojan was a lot of fun for me in that type of setting with air pressure weaponry and other stuff. The way things sounded was fun. Sojan was sort of practice for many superb things to come.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Count Brass is my sentimental favorite and my introduction to Mike's work. I bought the June '75 issue of Fantastic Stories (along with a couple of issues of Savage Sword of Conan) when I was on a class trip in 8th grade. I read it over and over until I could get to my public library and check out everything else on the Moorcock shelf. That summer, I banged out a number of truly terrible stories on my dad's typewriter and submitted them to Fantastic Stories and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I was pretty confident that I would be a successful writer by the time high school started in the fall.

As it turned out, I was a little too optimistic. My promising writing career didn't take off as I expected, and I ended up having to take algebra after all. A couple of years ago, I came across a box in my mom's attic with copies of the stories in their return envelopes and the (very nice and encouraging) letters of rejection still clipped to the front of the manuscripts. In the bottom of the box were the June & August '75 Count Brass issues. When I reread everything, I had to admit that the reviews of my stories were very generous and I hadn't been ready for the big time. But Count Brass was as amazing as it was when I was 13.

Comment

The Chronicles of Castle Brass are possibly my favourite series of Mike's books, although I also love the 1st Corum series and the 1st two Erekose/ Urlik books. I was discussing Mike's work recently with a friend and fellow fan and I said my favourite aspect is the whole Many Named Hero / Multiverse thing. My favourite character is the "aware" Champion (usually Erekose). He said he wasn't hugely interested in that aspect and preferred the older Elric stories.

Comment

My feelings are similar to David Mosley's, I love TJitS, but Count Brass grabs me more on an emotional level.

Comment

Working...
                  X