Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which of these books do you like best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these books do you like best?

Which one of these books do you like best?
    The Warlord of the Air (1971)
    75.00%
    The Land Leviathan (1974)
    25.00%
    The Steel Tsar (1981)
    0.00%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

That was well tricky Lem...like choosing your favourite child!

I plumped for Warlord because of the way Mike sets up the character of Bastable although i could come up with just as good reasons for choosing the other two
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      That was well tricky Lem...like choosing your favourite child!

I plumped for Warlord because of the way Mike sets up the character of Bastable although i could come up with just as good reasons for choosing the other two
      Yeah, thingfish, I know what ye mean!

I almost chose The Steel Tsar for these reasons below, and why I did choose The Land Leviathan:

Major Spoilers

Cheers!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed all three but I liked the first best and the second second. I don't have any complaint with the third, but I liked Bastable's adventures better when everything was a direct challenge to his point of view. I liked Bastable more when he was a lost and lonesome traveler of ambiguous moral character. The ending was satisfying but for me having everything clarified and out in the open took away some of the mystique. When I read the first I felt clever for figuring out
        That, and I just like airships a whole lot because they're cool :)
        Don't get me wrong though, it was a great trilogy. Sure, I'm somewhat critical of the third but I really admire the fact that Mike knew to end the trilogy at exactly the point that it was starting to wear thin. Too many writers just keep banging along and making their series longer long after they've lost their relevance. Mike ended the trilogy well short of that mark where a lesser story teller would have kept going.

Comment

Working...
        X