Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which of these means of transportation in a Moorcock story would you avoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these means of transportation in a Moorcock story would you avoid?

The Multiverse, Earth and many other dimensions, places and periods can be a dangerous environment.

If you became a character inside of the story world of one of Michael Moorcock's tales or books, which of these means of transportation would you choose to avoid? Multiple answers and reasons accepted.
    A barge
    0.00%
    A mount that can walk two dimensions at once, multiple layers
    0.00%
    A ship that can sail on both land and sea
    0.00%
    A time travel sphere
    18.18%
    A WWII airplane built for war, bombers, fighters
    0.00%
    An Airship
    0.00%
    An Armored Airship built for war
    0.00%
    Balloon (hot air)
    0.00%
    Space Ship (Outer Space Craft, Deep Space Vessel)
    0.00%
    Dreams
    9.09%
    Foot (travel by foot) hoof it, walking, running, jumping
    0.00%
    Gas driven air vessel
    0.00%
    Invented Air Device (such as a flying wing)
    9.09%
    Land Leviathan
    0.00%
    Middle March
    0.00%
    Moonbeam Roads
    0.00%
    Ornithopter
    0.00%
    Steamboat
    0.00%
    Train
    9.09%
    Tram
    9.09%
    Underground (Subway) Railway, or Other Rail System
    9.09%
    Zeppelin or Blimp
    0.00%
    A War Horse
    0.00%
    Car, Truck or Van
    0.00%
    Very Large Flamingo
    0.00%
    Submarine
    0.00%
    Tank
    0.00%
    U-boat
    0.00%
    A Car that is also a submarine
    0.00%
    A Dusenburg automobile
    0.00%
    Boat (Oars or Small Sail)
    0.00%
    Dragon or Phoorn
    0.00%
    Elemental
    0.00%
    A Large Sailing Ship
    0.00%
    Battleship
    0.00%
    Cruiser
    0.00%
    Ship of war, armored ship, other ship, Navy Transport
    0.00%
    Cart, Coach, Sled, Wagon (bear, dogs, horse, donkey or oxen pulled)
    0.00%
    1900 to 1938 Military Ground Vehicle
    0.00%
    1900 to 1938 Military Aircraft
    0.00%
    1939 to Present Military Ground Vehicle
    0.00%
    1939 to Prsent Military Aircraft
    0.00%
    Helicopter
    0.00%
    Camel, Goat, Horse, Mule or Oxen
    27.27%
    Other
    9.09%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

As much as I would love to time travel, the sphere like the one in Behold The Man wasn't very safe and a bit unpredictable. Yeah Karl survived the trip, just, but the sphere was destroyed. I would want to be able to make a return trip and not have my only means of transportation back to my own time ruined on impact. It's a cool time machine concept, but I'm not traveling in it without further testing.
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Comment

I voted Time Travel Sphere but the pic that Una put up, I think, would be much worse.
        "The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

I coated goat, et.al. In the Multiverse, you need FAST transport. Never know what's going to be chasing you
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Camel Goat, Oxen, etc.

The last thing you need is your steed dropping dead or being outrun by machinery, etc.

The transdimensional vadagh horse in the corum books would be good, though. The red and black one.

Hav'nt read all the books, so some forms of transport might be absolutely lethal. I'd avoid a lot of the transport methods.
            Last edited by Grivessillus; 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM.
            Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

I voted the way I did because the flying contraption that Pyat made sounded like it was doomed to crash from the word go. Most the choices actually sound like a lot of fun though. I'd love to sip a cocktail on either an airship or the ship that sails on land and sea and riding a dragon would be awesome. I doubt I'd enjoy an extended stay on a submarine (unless it belonged to Hagbard Celine) and riding a donkey doesn't sound very appealing though.

Comment

In a Michael Moorcock story you ask?

A Train. It is the top choice!

Reasons:

1) A train, with me as a passenger or crew-member, could be fired upon with fully automatic machines guns and stopped, damaged or derailed at great risk to the people who ride inside the train cars.

2) The train that I am on could be stopped for a number of purposes by brigands, bandits, cossacks, military units or political groups. Leaving the passengers and crew stranded in the middle of nowhere.

3) We could be suddenly caught unaware by an instant rush of men,(who carry and assortment of wicked knives and swords),on horseback who shoot, with bolt-action rifles, through the windows of the train at the travellers inside.

4) We could be attacked by some armed force that will kidnap us, the crew and other passengers, and or kill everyone they encounter.

5) We could be robbed by mysterious attackers, beat up, tied up and left for dead, imprisoned or subject to a vast number of other possible atrocities. Or handed over to arch enemies, or sold or traded into slavery.

6) Any crew personnel and passengers could be arrested and taken away by the Gestapo or armed military fascists, during a routine stop.

7) Any one of the crew or passengers could be bothered by some nude dude who tries to get on of us addicted to cocaine.

Tram:

1) I could be robbed by highwaymen or held up a beautiful woman.

2) I could be forced to pay money or gold to robbers who make their getaway on fine horses.

A railway:

1) I could get beaten up, delayed, robbed and/or hurt badly in a train yard.
                Unwanted police attention might lead to further victimization.

Other:

1) Travelling by Scale might make me so small that I could be in danger from more things that I am in the present. Too large could be many problems as well.

2) Arioch, or Chaos Lord etc.
                If I get teleported by Arioch or transposed to some weird and dangerous location, I could be in more than I bargained for, and unwilling to live up the the expectations and rules of the deal that I was required to make with Arioch.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                X