Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Best Beatle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Beatle

Which Beatle do you like the best? Which ones are

Too snarky?
    Too sweet?
    Too sad?
    Too thick?
    John
    30.00%
    Paul
    23.33%
    George
    36.67%
    Ringo
    10.00%

Shouldn't that be:
    • Jhone
    • Phowl
    • Jhorg &
    • Rhunga?

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The links get a bit more tenuous as the list progresses, but here we go:
      1. George - my mother was at school with George's sister and my grandfather had a fruit and veg shop on Wavertree High Street that backed on to Arnold Grove, where George grew up. He used to pop into the shop for his ma's fruit and veg. My mother was met off the bus from school once by George's dad in his bus driver's uniform with a very young George in tow.
      2. Paul - again, the connection is through my mother who sang in the royal Liverpool Philharmonic choir at the time when McCartney wrote and recorded his Liverpool Oratorio with Dame Kiri Te kanawa, Willard White and the Liverpool Phil choir and orchestra. If you find a copy of the original LP version it includes a pull out that lists all the members of the choir and orchestra, which means my ma has a named credit on a Paul McCartney album. My dad's got a signed copy at home somewhere. Ooer!
      3. John - I was born in Peterborough Road in Wavertree, which is two roads away from Newcastle Road, where John spent the first few years of his life before he moved to his Aunt Mimi's on Menlove Avenue. Peterborough Road is also a few hundred yards from the top of Penny Lane, near the bank and the hairdressers mentioned in the song. My brother's kids go to Dovedale school, where Lennon also went.
      4. Ringo - my uncle Tom drove a bus that went to Dingle, where Ringo was brought up. That's as good as it gets with Ringo I'm afraid.
      So, which one is my favourite. It's always been George, mostly because he lived in the shadow of Lennon & McCartney and was the quiet one.

Comment

Two more Beatles

There were two more Beatles-one Pete Best, the other was the manager (or was it the producer?) who was somtimes called the fifth Beatle (from what I know the beatles did get some Musical help with things like in backing instruments they found out to be in tune with them they would not always be tuned to the same note, that person helped expand their Musical theory Know How-it's just what Iv'e heard and read -don't Know if it's true. I Don't know if either would get any votes but You just gotta mention them...I think the question "the best Beatle" would indicate Pete Best if I was Spok and quite Logical and took the question literally-otherwise my favorite if not the best would be George if only because He wrote taxman and it was the song that hooked me and it Rocked on Guitar.
        "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
          That's as good as it gets with Ringo I'm afraid.
          <snark>An oft-heard phrase</snark>

Comment

Overheard at a recent Liverpool match, "If Mario Balotelli had had six shots, John Lennon would still be alive."

Comment

Not a Beatles fan.
              For me the most over-rated band in history and whoevers idea it was to make those bloody awful films should be taken round the back and shot.
              I voted for George because my brother had one of his solo albums which was not bad.
              Trying to think of one of their songs i like.....nope.....nothing coming.....but i can rattle off 5 easy that give me what is known in the north-east of Scotland as "the dry boak"
              1. Blackbird
              2. Penny Lane
              3. All you need is love
              4. Yellow Submarine
              5. 8 days a week

Wait a minute...i quite like day tripper(well the wee riff at the start anyway)
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

George Harrison - he wrote the only Beatles songs I really like.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredwullff View Post
                  There were two more Beatles-one Pete Best, the other was the manager (or was it the producer?) who was somtimes called the fifth Beatle....
                  His name is George Martin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin

And he gets my vote.

Comment

Yep i agree Wethewax.
                    No George Martin..no multi-selling Beatles..
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Away, yer bums!

The Beatles blew their German fans away with raw Liverpool soul plus Rock'n'roll, R&B! The polishing came later. Mind you, Ringo was probably the real genius addition to the line up. Kept everything tight down to Earth with a smile of chagrin and what Captain Beefheart calls, 'The Great Momma Heart beat...', no matter how airy~fairy things got.

Just imagine a Beatles arranged & produced by Joe Meek, or John Barry...

Comment

The other Beatle was the original bassist, Stuart Sutcliffe. He's the young Beat, who fell in with the photographer, Astrid Kircherr, who took those amazing b&w photos of the band.

Stuart, died of a brain aneurysm way too young.

According to his Wikipedia entry:
                        After leaving the Beatles, he enrolled in the Hamburg College of Art, studying under future pop artist, Eduardo Paolozzi, who later wrote a report stating that Sutcliffe was one of his best students.

Comment

I like them all. John was a bit mad and a bit brutal sometimes but I still like him despite his glaring flaws. George and Ringo definitely seemed like the nicest two. Paul is Paul, kind of like a giant manchild and a musical genius who knows he isn't as cool as John but also not as crazy or mean.

Comment

Working...
                          X