Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Where would you find The Doctor at the End of Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds about right Pietro.

I guess I figured he was accepting honorary Dancer status to allow him to get on with his work. Perhaps he creates an ingenious clone of himself to keep the Dancers occupied while he sneaks out the back door and gets on with his original plans.

Lord Jagged, however, would have the presence of mind to see through this ruse I would imagine...

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
      Lord Jagged is far too devious to be the Doctor. I suspect there might be a certain wary respect there, for each other, if they ever met. They're kind of equals.
      Oh, my esteemed Mercurios, you're giving me FAR too much credit. I'm a mere dabbler compared to the Doctor. Were The Doctor ever to pass my way and cast a glance at the menageries of my close friends, I should be honoured as well as flabbergasted. All I ever do is loaf around and give what little praise I can to the Grand Artists like the Iron Orchid and Jerrums.
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Oh Lord J.....you are so tragically modest!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
          Oh Lord J.....you are so tragically modest!!
          Indeed. Whilst the Doctor is merely this crazy old man, who stole a box and ran away in it to have adventures. Whatever was I thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser View Post
            Which gives him the opportunity to continue with

6) Exploring some of those ol' cities
            :-D

Mighty Mouser, I have to say that your tying up the individual options of this multiple choice exam deserves acclamation and fame. No doubt, the Duke of Queens and Jherek will soon rival to stage flamboyant productions of your epic. Who will win? It's impossible to tell -- except if Jherek manages to get the real Doctor to star in his production. Jherek has this eccentric affection for authenticity as well as the knack of making us all think that it matters. I shall, as always, bet my dime on Jherek!

Oh, and mercurial Mercurios and thespian Thingfish: Your praise makes my cheeks blush, surely, but I don't deserve it. While the Doctor did, perhaps, start out as a cranky and self-centered old sod tumbling around the Universe, he has saved both the Earth and indeed the Universe itself from destruction on numerous occasions (actually, almost on a weekly basis), and I've just engineered a little existence loop for Jherkek and Mrs. Underwood for the fun of it. I'll admit to that. Just a little device of entertainment, and it never got as much acclaim as the latest parties of the Duke and Mistress Christia.
            Last edited by Jagged; 06-30-2010, 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I voted A much-in-demand celebrity visitor as I think they'd treat him as if below them, but at the same time enjoying his simple tales.
              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post

:-D

Mighty Mouser, I have to say that your tying up the individual options of this multiple choice exam deserves acclamation and fame. No doubt, the Duke of Queens and Jherek will soon rival to stage flamboyant productions of your epic. Who will win? It's impossible to tell -- except if Jherek manages to get the real Doctor to star in his production. Jherek has this eccentric affection for authenticity as well as the knack of making us all think that it matters. I shall, as always, bet my dime on Jherek!

Oh, and mercurial Mercurios and thespian Thingfish: Your praise makes my cheeks blush, surely, but I don't deserve it. While the Doctor did, perhaps, start out as a cranky and self-centered old sod tumbling around the Universe, he has saved both the Earth and indeed the Universe itself from destruction on numerous occasions (actually, almost on a weekly basis), and I've just engineered a little existence loop for Jherkek and Mrs. Underwood for the fun of it. I'll admit to that. Just a little device of entertainment, and it never got as much acclaim as the latest parties of the Duke and Mistress Christia.
                Man, how you cats can mash this up. Had I a hat, it would be off to you, sir.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Couldn't choose between them as they all sound equally convincing to me.

How about he begins by

1) Exploring some of those ol' cities

Where he is captured by Mongrove and ends up

2) Stuck in Mongrove's Menagerie

Who, it turns out, needs the Doctor's help in

3) Opposing Lord Shark's latest (madcap?) scheme

Which leads to the Doctor becoming

4) A much-in-demand celebrity visitor

Whence he is invited to a soiree with a view to

5) Taking up residence as a fully fledged Dancer

Hah!

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post

4) A much-in-demand celebrity visitor

Whence he is invited to a soiree with a view to

5) Taking up residence as a fully fledged Dancer

Given that scenario, I'm sure he would indeed become "A much-in-demand celebrity visitor", however, every indication is that the Doctor would then take the first available opportunity to creep out the back door and head straight for the TARDIS, to the relative safety of the wide open spaces of time.

If there's one archetype that has proved consistent for the Doctor, over the years, it's that of 'Cosmic Hobo'.
                    And thinks -- for the rest of time -- if he's not still at the end of time, and been hornswoggled by the dancers.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                      Man, how you cats can mash this up. Had I a hat, it would be off to you, sir.
                      Never fear, wonderous Wanderlust, I have a wide-brimmed hat here that you can borrow to take off for me if you so please..... a designer I stumbled into in the 20.th century made the design for a character I made for one of my little games to wear for the premiere of a "movie" (a fad in those times) called The Final Programme.

Comment

Dr. Who and his trips

I think if Dr, who ever landed up in the End of time, I would think they would bore of him and probley rip him a part to make sure he was not some Alien with some bio chemical disease that would kill them off. Or maybe they would ask him to leave and never come back.

Comment

new reply-

this is a new reply, I changed my mind so I deleted the other-I think as a celeb he could be interviewed by Mr. Moorcock right there with him at the end of time. Icon dancers at the end of line.
                          "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

(Deleted. Forgot I already replied, sorry. See above.)
                            Last edited by Jagged; 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

the Doctor at the End of Time...

i i magine that the good Doctor would be making Brannart's life utterly deplorable. Also, as added bonus, i figure he would be studying the myseries of not only the old cities, but Jagged's Canarian Castle as well as that damnable Nanny's time bubble technology.

Comment

I can't see The Doctor approving of The Dancers in any of his incarnations, and I believe that would lead to conflict at some point.

But if we're specifically talking about New Who, then my favoured answer is: "On the end of my f***** boot!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X