Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Where would you find The Doctor at the End of Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you find The Doctor at the End of Time?

If Doctor Who ended up at the real end of time, where would he end up?
    Stuck in Mongrove's Menagerie
    26.37%
    Opposing Lord Shark's latest (madcap?) scheme
    13.19%
    A much-in-demand celebrity visitor
    21.98%
    Exploring some of those ol' cities
    25.27%
    Taking up residence as a fully fledged Dancer
    13.19%

Isn't Lord Jagged of Canaria really the Doctor or something?

After all those centuries of 'no hanky-panky' in the TARDIS I reckon he would be ready to shack up with Mistress Christia the Everlasting Concubine.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

That was my original option #6, but then I thought to allow a #5 voter to suggest it for themselves!

Comment

Lord Jagged is far too devious to be the Doctor. I suspect there might be a certain wary respect there, for each other, if they ever met. They're kind of equals. Jagged has essentially managed to engineer his society's survival by manipulating the titanic forces of time and human nature and the Doctor is probably one of the few beings in the Universe who could read him like a book. Plus, the Doctor is probably also one of the few beings capable of bringing an end to Jagged's plans. as well as to the End of Time.

Their interaction could be quite interesting.

I suspect the Doctor would either be rather annoyed with the Dancers, with their rather high handed way with visitors and with the entropic collapse of the Universe. Or, the Society at the End of Time would remind him far too much of Gallifrey. A place, he obviously feels was:

'made for coming from, for dreams of going to
        Which with any luck will never come true
        '.

Now, if a foe like the Daleks turned up, things might become very entertaining.

Comment

In Mongroves menagerie because these characters' power is out of his league.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
            In Mongroves menagerie because these characters' power is out of his league.
            I don't know, that sonic screwdriver is a source of constant surprise. The Doctor might might well be able to undo any obstacle in Lord Mongrove's menagerie, or even the effects of the power rings, simply by using it, to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, at some critical point.

The major difference between the Doctor and most of the inhabitants at the End of Time, with the possible exception of Dr Brannart Morphail (who is, at best, still more of a time meddler, than a Time Lord) and, of course, Lord Jagged, himself, is that the Doctor probably knows how everything actually works.

Comment

Good point Pietro!
              But would the sonic screwdriver be effective in the EOT environment just as the EOT rings are pretty useless elsewhere.
              If so only Jagged could clip The Doctors wings methinks.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post

Good point Pietro!
                But would the sonic screwdriver be effective in the EOT environment just as the EOT rings are pretty useless elsewhere.

The sonic screwdriver seems pretty independent, even of the TARDIS. Sarah Jane Smith and River Song both have working models. The power rings are conduits, drawing their power from the ancient cities, which in their turn draw theirs from the very stuff of the Universe itself.
                Originally posted by thingfish

If so only Jagged could clip The Doctors wings methinks.
                And vice versa! That's what makes a possible meeting between the two so potentially interesting.

Comment

It takes an extreme plot-ion field to disrupt the Doctor's screwdriver - much more powerful than those shoddy examples that knock out The Enteprise's transporters every other week in Star Trek...

Comment

Crossovers I am now wanting for "Daleks at the End of Time"

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                      It takes an extreme plot-ion field to disrupt the Doctor's screwdriver - much more powerful than those shoddy examples that knock out The Enteprise's transporters every other week in Star Trek...
                      Exactly! The sonic screwdriver seems to draw its power from the very stuff of the narrative, itself! Its own resources are potentially limitless... unless the plot decides otherwise!

Comment

Of course, if Lord Jagged is anybody, originally from the Doctor's Universe, then someone who would fit the profile a lot more closely than the Doctor himself, is Captain Jack Harkness. He's immortal, he's a time traveller, he's resourceful, he's devious and he's full of mischief.

I'm not saying he is, mind.

Comment

Couldn't choose between them as they all sound equally convincing to me.

How about he begins by

1) Exploring some of those ol' cities

Where he is captured by Mongrove and ends up

2) Stuck in Mongrove's Menagerie

Who, it turns out, needs the Doctor's help in

3) Opposing Lord Shark's latest (madcap?) scheme

Which leads to the Doctor becoming

4) A much-in-demand celebrity visitor

Whence he is invited to a soiree with a view to

5) Taking up residence as a fully fledged Dancer

Which gives him the opportunity to continue with

6) Exploring some of those ol' cities

Comment

Ah, the Doctor is so famous by the end of time. 51st century and people are saluting him. In the One Doctor (audio starring Colin Baker) he is a household name. I gotta think he would be an in-demand celebrity.
                            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser View Post

4) A much-in-demand celebrity visitor

Whence he is invited to a soiree with a view to

5) Taking up residence as a fully fledged Dancer

Given that scenario, I'm sure he would indeed become "A much-in-demand celebrity visitor", however, every indication is that the Doctor would then take the first available opportunity to creep out the back door and head straight for the TARDIS, to the relative safety of the wide open spaces of time.

If there's one archetype that has proved consistent for the Doctor, over the years, it's that of 'Cosmic Hobo'.

Comment

Working...
                              X