Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales

How have the sales of issue 1 and 2 gone? What are expectations for the graphic novel? Do you get expanded distribution with a graphic novel?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Well, from my point of view, the sales seem better than they were for Multiverse. I'm already earning decent royalties on the first one, so I'm not complaining. I have no idea what's a big sale, these days. I came from a climate, in the fifties, when if a weekly comic went down below 100,000 things looked bad, but I don't believe that's the case any more.
    Sales are generally lower because of the disappearance of so many independent retailers, I understand. That said, I have no complaints. The whole sequence has been picked up for publication in France, too.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      Well, from my point of view, the sales seem better than they were for Multiverse. I'm already earning decent royalties on the first one, so I'm not complaining. I have no idea what's a big sale, these days. I came from a climate, in the fifties, when if a weekly comic went down below 100,000 things looked bad, but I don't believe that's the case any more.
      Sales are generally lower because of the disappearance of so many independent retailers, I understand. That said, I have no complaints. The whole sequence has been picked up for publication in France, too.
      That's really good to hear. I know DC has a sliding scale for their individual imprints, and this is more of their prestige formats, so the low Diamond sales rankings aren't as telling as they would be for a monthly, regular series. A quarterly ongoing series is very difficult to sell, let alone a quarterly mini-series in prestige, square bound format. When I saw the low numbers for #1, I feared the worst, but if you're getting royalties from it, then it sold better than expected and will still be collected into a nice trade paperback (with a chance for more sales through regular bookstores and not just comic specialty shops), which can be seen by more sci-fi, non-comics readers (even though non-comics readers are very relunctant to read comics, even sci-fi readers -- strange, I know).

I'm very happy with the series so far, but will enjoy it more once finished. I'll still buy the collected edition in addition to buying the single issues.

(side question: what's this rumor about you writing a "magic universe bible" for DC editors? Besides Tom Strong, any other non-EC DC projects lined up like you and Walt on a new New Gods series? Hawkman? Captain Marvel? ;)

Best,

Comment

Working...
      X