Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Technical Difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Difficulties

Hopefully I'm not jinxing the project by asking this one, but what sort of setbacks have you experienced or are likely to experience? Do you have to work with project mangers? Is your editor a driving force on the project? Who is editing the project this time?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Offhand, I can't think of any setbacks related to the project. Michael may have something he'd like to offer but from my end (and I think his), DC gave us the ball and told us to run with it and that was about it.

The only real problem--not exactly a setback--is at my end. The work is taking considerably longer to complete than I had anticipated back at the beginning of everything. There are a lot of reasons for this but a key one is that I decided when I got started that I wanted to work twice up. That is, the original art is twice the size of the printed book. Most comics these days in the U.S. are drawn one and a half times bigger than printed size. (This varies a little here and there but in the main, it's the way U.S. comics are done.) And I've found that working twice up, which it's helping me create art that I'm fairly happy with (I'm never ecstatic about my own stuff), it's just a LOT slower than working a little smaller.

I don't quite know why the time difference is so great except that I am putting a lot into each page. I believe Michael can vouch for that since he's seen most of them. Somehow, working bigger on this particular project, I seem to have upped the level of stuff I'm drawing rather than let the space speak for itself. Or something!

Beats me.

But I'm not producing finished art at the rates I've produced it in the past. On the other hand, I'm not displeased with the results so I'm just grateful that DC hasn't seen fit to laser beam me to a cinder during my epic struggles!

:roll:

Best/Walter

PS: I hope to have a little more to say about this shortly.

Comment

Working...
    X