Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Influencing The Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influencing The Work

I can't imagine both of you struggling for possesion of the proverbial steering wheel, but I can't picture backslapping sessions either. Would it be fair to describe your collaboration as being similiar to a musical jam session? Since both of you are storytellers, what kind of pressures or conflicts arise? Can we attribute specific themes or characters to one of you or the other?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

I dunno. If I had to characterize the project, I'd say that Mike's driving the motorcycle and I'm riding in the sidecar, hanging on for dear life. The lynchpin that holds the sidecar in place has popped out just like in the cartoons and every so often, the sidecar goes shooting off in some other direction and by shifting my weight back and forth, I get the car to slam back into place. Then I hang on until the next time I go barreling off in some other direction!

The only conflict we've had (as far as I can remember) is that Mike writes so visually (for me, anyway) that I could easily have done each of these books as a 96 page story and not felt like I was padding them. So I have to make a lot of decisions about how to frame various sequences and get everything in. That's probably the most challenging aspect of the visual storytelling.

There actually is a lot of backslapping involved--except that it's over the phone so I'm being metaphorical here. We chat a lot about everything under the sun and especially now, with the scripts finished and sitting on my drawing board waiting me to finish them, about a lot of stuff other than Elric. For example, we were discussing old Roy Rogers films earlier today. But given the nature of the world in 2004, not all of our chats are about backslappingly humorous topics.

A musical jam session probably isn't a bad way to characterize the finished material. I don't know enough about to music to be able to make much out of the metaphor here so forgive me, but Michael's definitely laying down the lead line or melody and I'm sort of adding a lot of decoration while trying to thread the lead line through it all.

And I think the themes and characters are really Michael's seen, with any luck, through the filter of my drawing.

Best/Walter

Comment

Working...
    X