Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Why I Still Like Michael Moorcock | Print Media Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Still Like Michael Moorcock | Print Media Studies

In a pretty insightful review, the writer of the Print Media Studies blog explains Why They Still Like Michael Moorcock |

The other day I pulled out an old used copy of Michael Moorcock’s Elric Saga and—to my surprise—it still holds up. I haven’t read them since I was a teenager, but they’re still oddly compelling.

At first, the appeal seemed like something of a mystery. Even though Moorcock was rubbing shoulders with J. G. Ballard and the rest of the New Wave, he churned out potboiler fiction in fairly pulpy prose. M.M. throws in some evocative names and mind-bending concepts here and there but, as he explains in “How to Write a Book in Three Days,” even these are written to formula:
    You need a list of images that are purely fantastic: deliberate paradoxes, say: the City of Screaming Statues, things like that. You just write a list of them so you’ve got them there when you need them. Again, they have to cohere, have the right resonances, one with the other.
    Despite these drawbacks, however, Moorcock is often much better than many of his successors. For one thing, it turns out he did have a pretty good formula. The plots move briskly, with the protagonist getting in a jam every five or six pages until he wraps it all up around page 120. Indeed, the breathless pace and the freewheeling plots often seem more “epic” than many of the be’glossaried behemoths on the fantasy market, which slowly wind their way to the inevitable “To Be Continued in Volume Seventeen” after six or seven hundred pages.
    Read the rest of the article at www.printmediastudies.com/.../why-i-still-like-michael-moorc...
    Last edited by David Mosley; 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM.
Working...
X