Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock's Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    I agree the CD digital format can be a little harsh on the eyes compared to Vinyl.

I believe that vinyl compresses the dynamic range somewhat which makes it a little softer on the ears, like FM radio! Assuming a good record deck and needle then the only downside is the noise; crackle and scratches which I have to admit I dislike.

With CD I would like to know how bad the distortion level at 20KHz is due to the 44KHz sampling rate - probably a square wave with harmonics all the way up if they werent filtered! Also for very quiet parts the resolution is lower so this would mean less detail in the sound.

I do sometimes wonder why they havent brought out a higher quality format now than 14bits! MP3 also further sacrifices fidelity due to its high data compression, though for general song reference it is useful.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    John sent me some alternative versions of stuff we did for New Worlds Fair and it's surprising how much greater a range and how much 'warmer' many of them sound, compared to the CD. I guess it's a lesson not to throw away your vinyl! While I was glad to have NWF out on CD, I hadn't realised how much we lost by compressing it. I'm not sure I still have a vinyl version, but if I come across it I'll check it out.
    It's true what vinyl freaks say.

Leave a comment:

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    Its my favourite also - most of my collection is still on Vinyl but that would be one of the first I would get on CD when I am able.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    My favourite Calvert album remains Lucky Lief and the Longships, which Brian Eno produced and which had me, Blackie and a few others on it.
    Eno was a brilliant producer and I've always wanted to do an album with him after that experience. He wouldn't let me change the strings on my banjo, which is why they sound so strange on Moonshine in the Mountains. Done at Island studios. Best studio I ever worked in, too.
    Do you know if Lief is still available ? If so, I recommend it to everyone who hasn't heard it!

Leave a comment:

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    I really liked Robert Calvert and he was sadly missed by me.

I have the original LP and book stored upstairs in my mothers house in Ynys... Hopefully one day we will make our minds where we intend to stay so we can put everything in the same place!

What ever happened to Knut Gerwers site that described Bob's work and ideas in such great detail? Spirit of the (p)age?

Was musing its time to try rewriting one of his classics...

Unemployment Alley

Thankyou Doctor Greenspan for going doolaley,
    leaving me no heritage in unemployment alley

No more overtime, no late night fry ups,
    No more f... dot coms what a pity they've gone,

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    started a topic Moorcock's Music

Moorcock's Music

People like to know that there is a reissue of Robert Calvert's album HYPE, which originally accompanied his novel of the same name. It has some brilliant tracks on it. I played twelve string Rickenbacker electric guitar on it and did background vocals (as did Linda, who isn't credited).
    As well as Robert on vocals it also has Pete Pavli on cello and Nick Turner on saxaphone, Simon House on keyboards and fiddle. Robert's last fully realised album it's reissued by Voiceprint VP261CD.
    Voiceprint are also interested, John Davey tells me, of doing an album of tracks from New Worlds Fair, all in different versions. I've heard the versions, some of which are much rougher than the ones which appeared on the original album, but some are surprisingly richer. My thought is that we shouldn't put out every track but add tracks intended for other projects such as The Entropy Tango and Gloriana. We're still talking about that. Meanwhile, I highly recommend Robert's album. I'm a great fan of his music and it's a great shame he died before he could have done more.
Working...
X