Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hawkwind questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkwind questions.

:twisted: 8) Please tell me if this is true . 8) 8) Did Lemmy once be in hawkwind and get chucked out for being too hard living, and take his bands name Motorhead from a hawkwindd song. Or am i wrong ? I saw it on nostalgia program on rock music and i saw a clip with a naked woman dancing about on stage. Was MM in the clip? I dont know.But there was a frizzy haired guitarist that looked like him. It was 72-4-6 -9 Or does Motorhead come from Deep purple and i heard the wrong thing.When was MM in Hawkwind?I think MM is really unique among writers.

Yes, Lemmy was in Hawkwind and recorded few albums with them in 70's.
    Yes, Motorhead is the name of a song originally recorded by Hawkwind.
    Yes, HW had to replace Lemmy on their North American 75 tour 'cause Lemmy got in prison after the joke on the border.

You saw Hawkwind hit song from '72 - Silver Machine. MM wasn't on this song. MM guested on a few HW albums and tours.

Hope it helps.

Comment

If any help, Yolanda, MM's main contributions to Hawkwind were on the albums "Warriors on the Edge of Time" and "Chronicles of the Black Sword", both "concept albums" (ouch) based on the Eternal Champion series, Erekose and Elric respectively, and released about ten years apart in the mid-70s and 80s. There is a "Live Chronicles" album also, and a video of the Chronicles tour featuring MM.

MM also features on Choose Your Masques, Zones and bits of The Black Corridor are quoted on Space Ritual. And they're still going strong.
      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I used to have all of Hawkwind's main output on vinyl, but went through a purge. I'm now buying it all on CD and I'm shocked to discover that their best albums are currently not released. The following:

Warrior On The Edge Of Time
        Choose Your Masques
        PXR5
        Quark, Strangeness & Charm

... are currently selling for between آ£30 and آ£50 a pop. :(

The highest price I've seen so far was آ£82 for 25 Years On (I think that's the title –memory hazy). 8O

Oh well, just have to wait for the re-release.

C.

Comment

They're touring UK this month, so you've got a chance to renew your acquaintance, Samsamara. Down to a three-piece (again) I hear, but they managed that pretty well ten years or more ago.

Long live (as if that needed saying) The Hawks!

Comment

What happened to your avatar featuring a frustrated computer user? I'm sure I've already posted on the subject, but it seems to have disappeared. :roll:

Where did you find it ... I could use it on my other board?

C.

Comment

Arioch alone knows! I've not been able to connect to Multiverse for a few days, I thought it was a site problem, but the mails posted in meantime indicate not! I got that one through the profile page, browse, etc - see AVATARS thread, etc etc. Now I've got to catch up with the world! The Hawkwind official site is no replacement, very boring. :D

Comment

It is a bit static, isn't it?

C.

Comment

Hope they're not as static as that. Off to see them on Thursday, with the only other still-faithful-to-them mate I can find. :lol:

Comment

Reports from the Psychic Battlefront: Hawkwind, Glasgow, 22/4/04

Support from a very frazzled Huw Lloyd Langton. We caught Rocky Paths and Hurry on Sundown, which sounded fine.

Hawkwind now back down to what is their longest-lived line-up of Brock / Chadwick / Davey. I have to confess, this line-up always left me feeling there was something missing, and this was no exception. Fine for the most part (and Hawkwind are always going to be worth seeing for me), but the band really needs a lead instrument. I like Dave's lead, but he is clearly not confident with it, as it is always barely audible. Then maybe I was just spoiled in 02 when it was this trio plus House and Lloyd Langton, which was excellent.

There seemed to be a couple of new songs in the set-list, the opener which Richard sang, nice fast-paced rocky one, and another further in, but god knows what either was called as the drugs were working by this point. There weren't many back-catalogue surprises: Assault / Golden Void was high point for me as always (which is a problem when they play it so early in the set).

These are probably minor grumbles, and if anyone still hasn't seen HW and wants to see them - go and do it!! a) they might not be around for ever - though Dave still looks nothing like his age b) their history and archive is unique in music c) they are still capable of pulling out surprises on occasions - Space Bandits followed the dreadful Xenon Codex, Alien 4 after the unstartling Business of the Future. Nice to hear the unfamilar material (though was it new??), and of course I will be back next time round.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O LONG LIVE THE HAWKS 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Hi Zakt,
                      Thanks for the concert revue. Those of us not in England don't get to see the mighty Hawks very often Could that first song Richard sang have been Angela Android?
                      Ken
                      Ken Boorman
                      Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Hi, Ken

Simple answer is - and I'll have to 'fess up - I don't know!!

Where does Angela Android come from? I have Alien4 and Distant Horizons, but after that all i have is "In Your Area", and I can see no reference to Angela Android in any of these. It is quite possible I have missed a studio album somewhere, if so please let me know and I will catch up!!

I live 100 miles from the nearest possible Hawks venue, and therefore have to rely on web or friendly people still in civilisation to keep me up to date (100 miles is no doubt nothing in Canada - here it is 2-3 hours, and much sweat and diesel!! :()

Re-reading the "review", and bearing in mind that I wrote this at an unfeasibly early time of the morning, I may have been suffering post-Hawmatic stress syndrome. I have been having my twice-yearly practice with my own post(or nearly) menopoausal band Zachariah Toadstool & the Magic Mushrroms today (in advance of the Wickerman Festival all Granbretan-based people out there http://www.thewickermanfestival.co.uk/index.php be there or be doing something else) and whilst I don't think it was the best Hawkwind gig ever, it was better than most other bands I can think of.

Weekend is here now, so ...........

Standing on the runway waiting to take off ....... :-):-):-)

Comment

Earlier today I was listening to Plastic Planet ~ G//Z/R and Carnival Bizarre ~ Cathedral. Quite good, but a bit monotonous. I then popped on Distant Horizons (a recent addition) which I wasn't too keen on first of all. But ... ye gods!!! What a contrast. 8O Such originality.

C.

Comment

Ah, go on San - go and see them. Was I wrong? Was I just in a bad mood? Bet they're better in the mellow South (they always were when I saw them there). Go on go on go on, you know you need to go and check them out.

Comment

Hi Zakt,
                              Don't worry. While you have nowhere near all the Hawkwind recordings, Angela Android is from their soon-to-be-released album. The release date has been moved back so many times, some of us are wondering if it will be coming out. At least the new DVD, Out Of The Shadows has finally come out. I have heard it is excellent! 8)
                              Good luck with your band's gig at the festival. You'll have to let us know how it went :)
                              Ken
                              Ken Boorman
                              Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Working...
                              X