Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Warrior on the Edge of Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior on the Edge of Time

(Dave Mosley inspired this post.)

Hawkwind's 1975 classic album Warrior on the Edge of Time is going to be remastered and re-released this spring along with a tour during which Hawkwind will perform the entire album live.
    Dave seems to think the Moorcock/Hawkwind link is non-existent.
    This couldn't be more wrong.

PRESS RELEASE…PRESS RELEASE…PRESS RELEASE…
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 13th FEBRUARY 2013

HAWKWIND
    Warrior on the Edge of Time

Atomhenge, the Cherry Red Records label managed by Esoteric Recordings, the home of the entire HAWKWIND catalogue released between 1975 and 1997, are very pleased to announce that the classic HAWKWIND album “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”
    will be released in May 2013 as a newly remastered edition from the original stereo master tapes. Atomhenge label manager Mark Powell said; “Contrary to popular myth, the master tapes of this classic album were never lost. They remained in the United Artists vaults. The Atomhenge reissue will be the first ever CD edition to be taken from the original first generation master tapes. All previous editions have been taken from vinyl transfers or inferior copy master tapes”.

Aside from a single disc remastered edition, there will be two other expanded editions of the album. Mark Powell adds; “I’m extremely pleased to say that Steven Wilson has mixed the album into a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix from the original multi-track master tapes and has also undertaken a new stereo mix of the album which has an amazing depth and clarity whilst remaining faithful to the original release. “Warrior” is one of THE classic albums of the 1970s and is a land-mark album in Hawkwind’s history. The forthcoming reissues will do justice this magnificent record”.

Full details of the editions of “Warrior” will be announced in the coming weeks.
    Cherry Red managing director, Adam Velasco added; “The album “Warrior on the Edge of Time” has been unavailable officially on CD for many years and it is our intention to make the forthcoming releases definitive editions in terms of audio remastering (from the original master tapes), content and packaging”.

Hawkwind will be touring in April 2013 performing WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME, with further dates planned later in the year. Confirmed dates are:

Saturday 30th March – Sunday 31st March
    HawkEaster, Seaton Devon
    Tuesday 2nd April - Cardiff The Coal Exchange
    Wednesday 3rd April - Bath Komedia
    Friday 5th April - Preston 53 Degrees
    Saturday 6th April - Hawkwind headline Hard Rock Hell (HRH) Prog
    Sunday 7th April - Norwich Epic Centre

Good to have you posting again VG!

Comment

Thanks Rothgo.

Comment

I was beginning to think Atomhenge wasn't going to get the tapes! This is really the icing on the cake of an excellent series of remasters.

Comment

This is long overdue.
          Not only does it feature M. Moorcock but it was Lemmy's last year with the band.
          Hopefully the expanded editions have contributions from both.

Comment

It's scoring quite well on the Hawkwind poll I see (or rather, the original is). I note you didn't vote for it VG... ! ;)

Comment

Yes I admit that Space Ritual Alive from 1973 is the best album, by any artist, ever made, in our cosmos, to date.
              Warrior on the Edge of Time comes next.
              I thought a moorcock was some form of forest fowl until I bought a copy of WOTEOT in 1975.
              Mike's name is credited in the massive, foldout, Space Ritual record sleeve but I didn't realise how much his books complimented Hawkwind's lyrics and in turn the music complimented Mike's stories until the release of WOTEOT.
              It takes many years to decipher all the connections between the music and the books and I'm sure this new release will chart even more unkown territory from the dust bins.
              I can't wait.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this - Warrior was the first Hawkwind album I ever bought, back in 79/80 (I think), and so it has always been my favourite.

It was the Moorcock connection that led me to Hawkwind, and I still buy every new album - the good, the bad and the ugly.

I last saw them at the Brook in Southampton, last year - I asked my mate 'Why do we keep doing this to ourselves', as they hadn't been that good, live, for quite a while, and they then proceeded to play an absolute blinder, best I've seen them since the Canterbury Festival in 2001.

Esoteric/Atomhenge really have done an exemplary job with the remasters, and it looks like they might have saved the best till last.

Comment

Hopefully this release will have the full sized Chaos shield poster like the original vinyl lp sleeve.

Comment

Im going to see them here in Norwich, as i love the album, i must admit i saw them a few years ago at a festival and they were not that good tbh, but im hoping its going to be good, does anyone have any idea what the current line up is?

Comment

Dave Brock - captain
                      Richard Chadwick - drums
                      Dibs Darbyshire - bass
                      Nial Hone - guitar
                      Tim Blake - keyboards

Comment

The 3 disc set includes a dvd of material from 1975.
                        This is too good to be true.
                        From Esoteric:

Hi guys

Finally--just announcing the May remasters of Warrior on the Edge of Time.

Im listing content below simply because I don’t know how well this mailing programme can cope with attachments--and also at your end-you may get rejections with attachments.

anyway guys (and the occasional gal) heres the low down

May 25th release

3 editions---single CD, 3 disc deluxe clamshell (like Levitation) or the all singing , all dancing box set, complete with exact vinyl replica, large book, poster, postcards etc. --see text for details.

Those that buy direct from Cherry Red will also receive a unique bonus download of the first run through of "Assault and Battery" . This will only be available for those that order the full box set and direct from the website.

SINGLE EDITION (DIGIPACK)

“WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”
                        Remastered original stereo master tapes:

1. Assault and Battery / The Golden Void
                        2. The Wizard Blew His Horn
                        3. Opa-Loka
                        4. The Demented Man
                        5. Magnu
                        6. Standing at the Edge
                        7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
                        8. Warriors
                        9. Dying Seas
                        10. Kings of Speed

Bonus track:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

• ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        • 3 Disc Edition (Clamshell box)

• THE LONG AWAITED OFFICIAL EXPANDED 3 DISC DELUXE REMASTERED EDITION OF HAWKWIND’S CLASSIC 1975 ALBUM
                        • FEATURING THE FIRST EVER REMASTERED VERSION MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTER TAPES ON CD ONE PLUS 8 BONUS TRACKS, FIVE PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
                        • CD TWO FEATURES A NEW STEREO MIX BY STEVEN WILSON MADE FROM THE MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES PLUS 5 BONUS TRACKS, TWO PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
                        • DISC THREE – NTSC REGION FREE DVD FEATURING NEW 5.1 SURROUND & STEREO MIXES OF “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” BY STEVEN WILSON & A 96 kHz 24-BIT FLAT TRANSFER OF THE ORIGINAL 1975 STEREO MASTER TAPES
                        • ALSO FEATURES BOOKLET WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY

ATOMHENGE, the home of HAWKWIND’s catalogue from 1975 – 1997, are pleased to announce the long awaited release of a definitive edition of the classic 1975 album “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”. Recorded in 1975, the album is a ground-breaking classic of Hawkwind’s career. Featuring a line-up of DAVE BROCK, NIK TURNER, LEMMY, SIMON HOUSE, SIMON KING & ALAN POWELL, the album is arguably one of the finest rock albums of the mid-1970s. This Atomhenge edition marks the first time that the original analogue stereo master tapes have been used for a remastered edition. This set also features a wonderful 5.1 Surround Sound remix from the original 16-track master tapes by Steven Wilson, who has also undertaken a splendid new stereo remix. The set also features a total of thirteen bonus tracks drawn from out-takes of the recording sessions and the 1975 Watchfield Festival, seven of which are previously unreleased. This deluxe edition of “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” is a def
                        initive release of this classic album.

DISC ONE

The remastered original stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
                        4. The Demented Man
                        5. Magnu
                        6. Standing at the Edge
                        7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
                        8. Warriors
                        9. Dying Seas
                        10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

12. Soldiers at the Edge of Time
                        (Michael Moorcock version)
                        13. On the Road
                        14. The Wizard Blew His Horn (Nik Turner version)
                        15. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (demo)
                        16. Soldiers at the Edge of Time (Nik Turner version)

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
                        Previously unreleased

17. Motorhead (Dave Brock vocal version)
                        18. Kings of Speed (instrumental version)

Recorded at Olympic Studios, Barnes in January 1975

DISC TWO
                        New stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
                        4. The Demented Man
                        5. Magnu
                        6. Standing at the Edge
                        7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
                        8. Warriors
                        9. Dying Seas
                        10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead (instrumental demo)
                        12. Dawn

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
                        Previously unreleased

13. Watchfield Festival Jam
                        14. Circles
                        15. I Am the Eye

Recorded at the Watchfield Free Festival on 23rd August 1975

DISC THREE – REGION FREE NTSC DVD

5.1 Surround Sound & new Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
                        4. The Demented Man
                        5. Magnu
                        6. Standing at the Edge
                        7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
                        8. Warriors
                        9. Dying Seas
                        10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

96kHz 24-Bit Flat transfer of the original 1975 stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
                        4. The Demented Man
                        5. Magnu
                        6. Standing at the Edge
                        7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
                        8. Warriors
                        9. Dying Seas
                        10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME BOX SET

ALL THE CONTENT FROM THE 3 DISC VERSION PLUS THE FOLLOWING HOUSED IN A BEAUTIFUL BOX-----PHIL SMEE PACKAGE.

• 180g VINYL LP FACSIMILE EDITION WITH “SHIELD” GATEFOLD SLEEVE & INNER BAG (cut from the original analogue cutting master tapes)

• ALSO INCLUDES:
                        - DELUXE 48 PAGE BOOK WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY
                        - A REPRODUCTION OF THE AMERICAN IN-STORE PROMOTIONAL POSTER
                        - A REPLICA CONCERT TICKET FROM DETROIT IN 1975
                        - THREE PROMOTIONAL POSTCARDS

FOR THOSE THAT PURCHASE THE FULL BOX SET DIRECT FROM ATOMHENGE THERE WILL ALSO BE A UNIQUE DOWNLOAD ENCLOSED OF THE FIRST RUN THROUGH OF ASSAULT AND BATTERY

The vinyl will only be available as part of the box--we are not doing a separate vinyl pressing.

Comment

Saw the gig last night here in Norwich and happy to say it was Ace! thoughly enjoyed it and loved the stage show, happy to see Dave brock still rocking out, my highlight had to be the demented king i love that song, but i love the whole album, excellent gig.

Comment

There are so many of us that wish we could have been there with you.
                            I've heard nothing but good about the WOTEOT tour so far.
                            My boxset is already ordered.
                            Can't wait.
                            Vg.

Comment

I'm just wondering what's actually on the DVD visually. I doubt these are live performances. The lighting that was used for the stage show at this time was very good. I remember a bit where a tree grows into a city. Did that survive in any form?

Comment

Working...
                              X