Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Moorcock-Inspired Tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know that John Lennon or any Beatle ever read Mike's books, but Roger Waters seems to have at least read The Fireclown:

Pink Floyd - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
      I don't know that John Lennon or any Beatle ever read Mike's books
      Whether they read any or not I don't know either but - at the risk of sticking my neck out too far - I believe the Beatles (or Apple Corps) offered to bankroll New Worlds when money was tight. Mike turned them down (not being a fan of grants) and got them to take some advertising instead. NW 196 carries a back cover advert for John & Yoko's "Wedding Album".
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Pink Floyd : Shine On You Crazy Diamond ...

http://youtu.be/PRQ9xBJh-Jw
        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Not trying to be rude, but are these Beatles and Pink Floyd songs really directly related to any of Mike's works in any way? I'd like to know if they are.

I'm really disappointed that this band only had one demo, but it is freaking amazing. I would call it raw proto power thrash, and all four songs are about fantasy literature. It is super heavy but also super catchy and has some great heavy metal screams. There are two songs about Mike's works, one Robert E. Howard, and one J.R.R. Tolkien song.

This song is based on an original Robert E. Howard story about Conan with the same title:

And this is the Tolkien song:

"When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
          - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

There was a California metal band in the 80's called Cirith Ungol. They used one of the Mike Whelan Elric paintings for the album cover and their songs were based on MM and other fantasy authors.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirith_Ungol_(band)

Comment

Originally posted by KarmanalOfZert View Post
              Not trying to be rude, but are these Beatles and Pink Floyd songs really directly related to any of Mike's works in any way?
              "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is a line from one of Mike's books called 'The Fireclown."

Comment

Mournblade were an 80's metal band from the UK, apparently they got permission from Mike to use the name of Stormbringer's sister as their band name.

Mournblade - Sidewinder

Comment

Does anyone know anything about these cats?

https://soundcloud.com/the-end-of-all-songs

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                    Originally posted by KarmanalOfZert View Post
                    Not trying to be rude, but are these Beatles and Pink Floyd songs really directly related to any of Mike's works in any way?
                    "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is a line from one of Mike's books called 'The Fireclown."
                    crazy how i know the song and the book yet never made the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Connatic View Post
                      There was a California metal band in the 80's called Cirith Ungol. They used one of the Mike Whelan Elric paintings for the album cover and their songs were based on MM and other fantasy authors.

MAN, this is pure gold classic American metal!
                      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Ciritsh Ungol ia high elvish for Cave of Spiders as far as i remember, pathetic I should know that lol Ungol is definitely Spiider and Cirith is either mountain or pass, can't remember which. Ungloliant was the original Tolkien Spider and mother of Shelob, Cirith Ungol was Shelob's lair

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                          Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Ciritsh Ungol ia high elvish for Cave of Spiders as far as i remember, pathetic I should know that lol Ungol is definitely Spiider and Cirith is either mountain or pass, can't remember which. Ungloliant was the original Tolkien Spider and mother of Shelob, Cirith Ungol was Shelob's lair
                          And you say you're not a Tolkien fan?!! HEHEHE

Cirith Ungol, the band is an incredible mix of old Black Sabbath, early Rush , Stooges, MC5.

It is an acquired taste in metal to like them!
                          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

One that isn't based on the Sword & Sorcery books.

Comment

Lyrics to Dancers at the End of Time
                              by Howlin' Rain

Let the fall winds
                              Rattle at our door
                              And call us to the lunatic sea
                              For the pleasure games we play so easily
                              That never really make a soul

Details will haunt us in strange ways
                              Like snow and smoke and skeletal leaves
                              Who will resurrect us? Jive, ass, and teeth
                              One we've all drunk our fill of fire

A strange sadness hangs around the trees
                              As if our life and times were fruit
                              Ripen too quickly into rot
                              And falling on this stinking spot

Tones of history ring here like a gong
                              But the pitch is bent and queer
                              Upon a beach of bones the iron orchid stands
                              And casts her cobalt gaze across the years

Mrs. Amelia Underwood
                              Carry my heart in your hands
                              Jesus will shine on you brightly
                              Into the hollow lands

Now the sky, a find of fire
                              The season's tears to ancient wine
                              A ghostly blight from godless eyes
                              The howling flames of our desires

Your hair tumbles like a racehorse down
                              The country hails your sky now ma'am
                              And I'm not gonna need it like the lion needs to kill
                              Cause in the lion all desire and prayer is one

Used to be time was upon us
                              Carried our hearts on our sleeves
                              Wearing the joy and the sorrow
                              Like beautiful fall-painted leaves
                              Mrs. Amelia Underwood
                              Carry my heart in you hands
                              Jesus will shine on you brightly
                              Into the hollow lands

Comment

Working...
                              X