Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Does the original Deep Fix still hold any legal claim to the name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the original Deep Fix still hold any legal claim to the name?

I'm just wondering, because I stumbled across this website:

http://thedeepfix.com/whoare.html
    “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

I think the story in this thread answers that question, Brian. If they're still (re-)releasing music it's still their name, surely.
    Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Hmm... they don't seem to be affiliated with the original group. One of the guys from the link I posted is from London, but -- as far as I can tell -- was never connected. The other guy in the band appears to be from Australia.

I wonder if there are any legal issues to be resolved? Not that I'm out to stir up trouble, mind you.
      Last edited by Brian; 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM.
      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

These are just some guys using the name. They are pretty awful IMO if their youtube video is typical.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub_JT5cYU6U

I think a name has to be registered as a trademark to keep other people from using it, but I'm not a lawyer and it might be more complicated than that.

One thing that might be helpful is an Amazon Artist Central page for Mike's Deep Fix, then he could tell them which albums are his and which are not - when people clicked on 'deep fix' it wouldn't show them the other bands album the way it does now:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch...e%20Deep%20Fix

It's pretty cheezy to just sit there and use a name especially when it is easy to find out that it's still in use. I'd go ahead and say it's impossible at this point that they didn't get the name from the JC books and even if they hadn't they are too lazy to use their imagination and come up with something someone else hadn't done.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch...e%20Deep%20Fix

...I'd go ahead and say it's impossible at this point that they didn't get the name from the JC books and even if they hadn't they are too lazy to use their imagination and come up with something someone else hadn't done.
          Excellent Amazon research, and I agree with your hunch about their probable co-opting of the name, as well.

Since my last visit to this thread, I was pondering if this could be a "Deep Fix" vs. "THE Deep Fix" thing... or even a "Deep Fix" vs. "Michael Moorcock and The Deep Fix" thing?
          Last edited by Brian; 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

The Deep Fix's records are usually (always?) as 'Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix' (sometimes 'Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix') so that's probably enough of a distinction for Deep Fix to avoid accusations of misleading consumers, but the trademark issue is interesting because Mike has to defend his trademarks if he want to keep them, so if he has trademarked 'The Deep Fix' he may have no choice to pursue this. Or maybe an arrangement has already been reached?
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              Since my last visit to this thread, I was pondering if this could be a "Deep Fix" vs. "THE Deep Fix" thing... or even a "Deep Fix" vs. "Michael Moorcock and The Deep Fix" thing?
              Bearing in mind that Redbull are going after a Norfolk brewery called Redwell for possible trademark infringement, I suspect that Mike would have a decent case if he chose to pursue anyone using variations on the words Deep and Fix.

Comment

Working...
              X