Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hawkwind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkwind

I just want to say that i just started listening to Hawkwind and i have to say i like it a lot.
    The song Zarozinia is by far my favorite so far!! It is totaly awesome!
    I can't stop listening to it..i wish it was longer.

You are not alone sardonic one. I too love the Hawks, bless their orthopaedic socks. For me, the essential albumens are:

- Space Ritual
    - Quark, Strangeness and Charm (sadly, not available on CD)
    - Levitation
    - Choose Your Masques
    - Sonic Attack
    - The Chronicle of the Black Sword

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve3
      You are not alone sardonic one. I too love the Hawks, bless their orthopaedic socks. For me, the essential albumens are:

- Space Ritual
      - Quark, Strangeness and Charm (sadly, not available on CD)
      - Levitation
      - Choose Your Masques
      - Sonic Attack
      - The Chronicle of the Black Sword

Steve
      I'd also add 'X-In Search of Space,' and 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' to the list.

These two are also no longer available (cheaply!) on CD.
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Levitation, Warrior on the Edge of Time and Chronicle of the Black Sword are my 3 favorite Hawkwind albums. Funny enough, the last two are all based on Michael's work! Sadly, the first two are unavailable right now. The Golden Void might be my best loved Hawkwind song. Actually, I like the newer version from Palace Springs (titled "Void of Golden Light") better than the original version from Warrior. I think this rarely happens - that a newer version of a song is better than the original one!

You've got to get the Chronicle of the Black Sword DVD, if only to see Michael (or is it Pavaroti?) having some fun! Moonglum is a great song, eh?

Comment

Out of the shadows, the dvd recorded at Newcastle with Arthur Brown is well worth the آ£/$ at amazon. Time Captives comes across very well.

Comment

Ive been wanting to hear hawkwind for quite a while now. Anyone kno where i can get a sampling of what they sound like? Oh and is their album the Chronicle of the Black sword like a musical rendition of Elrics saga?

Comment

Chronicle of the Black Sword is based on the Elric saga, with an extra MM character reference thrown in (Needle Gun - Jerry Cornelius).

Ken
              Ken Boorman
              Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

I wish I could find the whole lyric of Golden Void I originally wrote. Dave took the first lines and then, as I recall, added some of his own. I was a bit surprised when it came out credited wholly to Dave... But not particularly upset, I hasten to add. I think I wrote it first for the Space Ritual tour. While I suppose I enjoy the 'classic' albums best, I've got a lot of time for Choose Your Masques. Of my own songs for Hawkwind I think the one I like best is one you can hear me buggering up on one of the bootlegs because Dave and the others had rehearsed a different (and better) version but had forgotten to tell me... It's Coded Languages and it's the Hawkwind song I think I enjoyed most performing. One or two lyrics were credited to 'Steele' at that time, but I can't remember the logic which led us to do that (it was Linda's name).
                I was sorry to hear some of the classic albums, such as Warrior on the Edge of Time (which I suppose is also a core EC album!) aren't available at the moment. I wonder why. Warrior was, I think, the best-selling Hawkwind album ever.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

hawkwind

Great! Now i have to search ebay or other internet and local stores for all the albums so i can listen to these songs :D

Is there an official website with album description?

Also, is there any other bands or songs with reference to MM work's?
                  i think there is blue oyster cult if i am not mistaken?
                  anyone knows the names of the songs? :)

Comment

Re: hawkwind

The official Hawkwind site can be found at www.hawkwind.com. Hawkwind's discography is quite a monstrosity (and can even compete with Michael's bibliography!) as there are so many releases, re-releases and collections under different names and labels. It's easy to get lost. The core albums, however, are noted on the website, and are a good start. Some of the Moorcockian ones are: Warrior on the Edge of Time, Sonic Attack, Choose Your Masques (Arrival To Utopia - what a great song!), Zones, Chronicle of the Black Sword and Live Chronicles (with Michael narrating in it! Great!).

Blue Oyster Cult's famous Moorcock songs are Black Blade from Cultosaurus Erectus (1980) and Veteran of the Psychic Wars from Fire of Unknown Origin (1981).

You will find many more bands which have been influenced by Michael. Deep Purple, for example, in their Stormbringer album. Although I think this has never been publically admitted, the title song Stormbringer is based on our favorite soul-eating sword. You can't be mistaken when hearing those lyrics:

Ride the rainbow
                    Crack the sky
                    Stormbringer coming
                    Time to die
                    Got to keep running
                    Stormbringer coming
                    He's got nothing you need
                    He's gonna make you bleed

Comment

hawkwind

Exellent!

Thanks Oren!

Comment

Those looking for Hawkwind stuff might try this: www.musicstack.com. Apparently it's a site collecting many vendors that are selling CDs,LPs, DVDs, etc. A search for 'Hawkwind' brought up 3000+ entries!
                        I've never bought frome this site, so I can't/won't vouch for reliability or availability, so . . .

The reason that I have heard for the scarcity of 'Warrior' and other of Hawkwind's albums is that it's a matter of royalty payments, and of who should get how much of said royalties.

'Choose Your Masques' is also one of my my favorites. I can frequently be seen and heard howling the words at work. Very apt, since The Chaos Lords are the managers! (well, they act like it, anyway!!)

I have also heard that the reason the Ms. Linda's name was used was also because of royalty reasons (oooh, what cheek, telling Mr. M why he did something! :D )

Comment

Not so much royalties as publishing. My ex-manager was tending to claim my publishing and I didn't want him to have it since he was taking such a vast percentage. Is there a dispute over royalties or what ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Fan-site http://www.starfarer.net/index.html has much more info than the official site, which appears to be erratically maintained. Happy Hawking.
                            \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              Not so much royalties as publishing. My ex-manager was tending to claim my publishing and I didn't want him to have it since he was taking such a vast percentage. Is there a dispute over royalties or what ?
                              Publishing, not royalties. I knew it was one or the other, but I couldn't recall which.

I've heard several reasons why the Hawks back catalogue hasn't been re-released. The roaylty issue is the latest, I think. I think the gist is how much the ex-members get, and maybe how much Doug Smith should get, and maybe Mr. Smith owns the rights, or maybe EMI owns them (since they bought up the UA and Charisma catalogues).

Or maybe, in the case of 'Warrior,' the master tapes are lost, and they can't make any copies ( but what about the tapes that the Griffin release, from 1993, were made from?).

I don't recall any 'official' word from the Hawkwind camp, so maybe it's one of these reasons, or a dozen others.

Comment

Working...
                              X